This year, the 30th for the awards, the Vauxhall's Corsa was crowned the top car (see image gallery of the Corsa VXR Supermini here), and Toyota/ Lexus won the Green Award, which recognizes "the company's achievements in leading the development of hybrid and clean diesel engines." Toyota and Lexus won the same award last year. One factor that led to the Corsa's win was that it was "environmentally friendly," according to Steve Fowler, What Car?'s group editor.
As for the Green Award, Fowler said at the award ceremony that, "Climate change is of increasing concern to car buyers and Toyota and Lexus are doing more than anyone else to offer consumers low-CO2 vehicles. Other manufacturers have been slow out of the blocks when it comes to environmental matters – we'd like to see more low-CO2 vehicles launched as a matter of priority."
The entire list categories and winners for What Car? Car of The Year 2007 includes:
- Supermini - Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 Club air-con 5dr
- Small Family Car - VW Golf 1.6 FSI Match 5dr
- Family Car - VW Passat 2.0 TDI S
- Estate Car - Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTI Exclusiv
- Compact 4x4 - Land Rover Freelander 2.2 TD4 GS
- Large 4x4 - Land Rover Discovery TDV6 SE auto
- Hot Hatch - Mini Cooper S
- Coupé - Audi TT 2.0 TFSI
- Open-Top - VW Eos 2.0 T FSI
- Performance Car - Porsche Cayman S
- MPV - Citroën C4 Picasso 1.6 HDI SX EGS
- Compact Executive - BMW 320d ES
- Executive Car - BMW 525i SE auto
- Luxury Car - Mercedes S320 CDI
- Green Award - Toyota / Lexus
- Safety Award - Mercedes
- Overall Car of The Year - Vauxhall Corsa
You can see a high-resolution gallery of the winners by clicking on the image or the thumbnails above. The images are downloadable for your personal use.
[Source: What Car?]