Still got that fireworks-induced, patriotic buzz going on? This might help keep you seeing red, white and blue a bit longer. Of the 15 most productive auto plants in the States, Automobile Magazine says the top two spots – and more than half the total tally – are occupied by American car companies.
Ford and its Kansas City and Dearborn plants claimed the top two slots for 2011. The Kansas City plant turned out an impressive 460,338 vehicles last year. Most of that (321,322) were 2012 Escape models with the remainder made up of 135,039 F-Series trucks and 3,977 Mazda Tribute models.
In Dearborn, Ford built 343,888 F-Series pickups and 473 Lincoln Mark LT trucks.
For the No. 3 spot, head south to Alabama, where Hyundai cranked out 227,663 Sonata and 114,499 Elantra sedans for a total of 342,162 vehicles.
Just up the road in Smyrna, Tennessee, is Nissan and its first North American plant where 333,392 cars, trucks and SUVs were built in 2011. Besides Nissans, though, the Smyrna workers also built 2,415 Suzuki Equator pickups which are based on the Nissan Frontier.
A little further north in Georgetown, Kentucky lies the largest Toyota plant outside of Japan. The bulk of the plant's 315,889 output was made up of the Camry sedan.
Check out the remaining 10 below.
- Ford (Kansas City Assembly Plant in Claycomo, MO) - 460,338
- Ford (Dearborn Truck Plant, Dearborn, MI) - 342,162
- Hyundai (Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Plant, Montgomery, AL) - 342,162
- Nissan (Nissan North America, Smyrna, TN) - 333,392
- Toyota (Georgetown, KY) - 315,889
- General Motors (Fort Wayne, Roanoke, IN) - 307,454
- Honda (Marysville Auto Plant, Marysville, OH) - 285,258
- Kia/Hyundai - (Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia, West Point, GA) - 282,316
- General Motors - (Lordstown Complex, Warren, OH) - 279,674
- General Motors - (Fairfax Assembly Plant, Kansas City, KS) - 279,250
- General Motors - (Lansing Delta Township, Lansing, MI) - 277,277
- BMW (BMW Manufacturing Co., Spartanburg, SC) - 277,074
- General Motors (Arlington, TX) - 269,624
- Honda - (Honda Manufacturing of Alabama, Lincoln, AL) - 264,324
- Ford - (Chicago Assembly Plant, Chicago) - 262,730