America's 10 Fastest-Selling Used Cars
Run, don't walk, if you want to buy one of these cars used
We spend a lot of time talking about new cars here at Autoblog, but in reality, people frequently go the used route. And the truth is, the used car market hides some fascinating data that we sometimes overlook.
The website iSeeCars.com recently looked at used car sales and determined which cars sold the fastest and which lingered on lots. The following ten cars are the fastest selling in the US.
There are some unique traits to this group of cars. Half of these vehicles are electric vehicles or hybrids, and only one car on the list is American. There are some oddballs in as well, but apparently used car buyers snap up all of these vehicles in less than 30 days after they hit the market.
1. Toyota Prius Plug-in: 19.7 Days
It’s no big surprise there’s a Prius anywhere on this list. It is the hybrid automobile. They’re reliable, practical and, in case you somehow didn’t know, they get great gas mileage. And with the plug-in, you can knock out a few miles of your commute using power from the grid.
Toyota Prius Information
2. Nissan Leaf: 24.3 Days
Already the most affordable pure electric car on the market that still feels like a real car, the Nissan Leaf only gets more affordable when it’s used. With a range of 84 miles when it was released, the Leaf offered practical electric range for commuting and driving around towns and cities.
Nissan Leaf Information
3. Tesla Model S: 26.1 Days
The Tesla Model S needs little introduction. This is the first electric car with virtually no compromises. It has long range, it’s attractive, it’s fast, and all of these traits make it a very cool car. They aren’t terribly cheap, so it could be that people are snapping used ones up quickly to get the hottest electric car on the market at a discount.
Tesla Model S Information
4. Hyundai Veloster Turbo: 27.8 Days
The Hyundai Veloster Turbo is a little unexpected for us. It’s certainly the most fun version of the Veloster with a 200-horsepower turbo four-cylinder and sporty suspension. However, there are other vehicles in this category, such as the Ford Fiesta ST, that are even more fun. That being said, if you have to have your driving fun in a unique wrapper, the Veloster Turbo isn’t a bad way to go.
Hyundai Veloster Information
5. Infiniti QX60: 27.9 Days
Now we come to the part of the list that is the most confusing. Formerly known as the Infiniti JX35, the QX60 is Infiniti’s large, three-row crossover SUV. There’s really nothing wrong with this crossover. In fact, it’s spacious, luxurious and comes with a premium badge to show off to the neighbors. But there are many other competitive options in the segment. Perhaps the combination of a popular body-style and the chance to own a luxury nameplate pushed it over the top.
Infiniti QX60 Information
6. Infiniti QX56: 29 Days
So this is probably the strangest model on the list. The QX56, now known as the QX80 is a very plush, traditional SUV. Think of it as Nissan’s version of the Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX570. It will get you, your friends and your stuff most anywhere you need to in the lap of luxury. But traditional SUVs have been fading in popularity because they’re heavy, thirsty and they drive like trucks. So we don’t understand why there isn’t another car-based crossover here instead.
Infiniti QX80 Information
7. Lexus CT 200h: 29.4 DaysNow we’re back to fast-selling cars that make more sense. The Lexus CT200h is based on the Prius and so it shares many of the characteristics like high fuel economy and good reliability. Add to that a nicer interior, arguably better styling and a luxury nameplate, and you have a car that would be an attractive option to the hoards of Prius models on the road.
8. Toyota Highlander Hybrid: 29.6 DaysAs we already mentioned, the crossover is the darling of the auto industry right now. The Toyota Highlander has long been a leader in its segment. It’s roomy and reliable like so many Toyotas. Toyota quality in a popular package would be a good seller as is, but to throw in the green cred and improved mileage of a hybrid clearly put this version over the top.
Toyota Highlander Information
9. Lexus RX 350: 29.7 DaysSome more proof of the power of crossovers. The Lexus RX series was one of the originals, and it clearly remains a favorite. The Lexus RX350 is a two-row, midsize crossover that combines luxury and comfort to make an appealing vehicle. There may be more exciting luxury crossovers, but this one won't let you down.
10. Mazda2: 29.9 DaysThe slowest of the fast sellers is also a bit of a surprise. The Mazda2 is actually a wonderfully charming little car. It’s stylish and handles like a dream. Where it comes up short though is in creature comforts and features. The Mazda2 was very basic and lacked many of the infotainment options of its peers such as the Ford Fiesta or Chevy Sonic. The Mazda2 is no longer available from Mazda but exists now as the current Scion iA and future Toyota Yaris iA.
Mazda Mazda2 Information