In New York State, disability license plates and placards are available to people who are either permanently or temporarily disabled. You can get disabled plates for permanent or temporary disabilities. Either way, you will have to provide proof from a doctor that you are disabled. Once you have that proof, you can qualify for various parking permits.

Types of permits

In the state of New York, you could qualify for:

  • Temporary disability permit
  • Permanent disability permit
  • Temporary disability license plate
  • Permanent disability license plate
  • Metered parking waiver

In addition, if you are not a resident of the State of New York, but are merely passing through, you could have a disability license plate, permit or waiver issued by the State of New York for the time during which you are in the state.

New York City permits and placards can also be used in any other state.

Getting a permit

In New York, you can get parking meter waivers from your local clerk’s office. You can get a permit or plate from the New York DMV.

In most jurisdictions, you will have to fill out the Application for a Parking Permit or License Plates, for Persons with Severe Disabilities (Form MV-664.1) . This will be the case for both permanent and temporary placards, and you will have to provide a letter from your doctor confirming that you are disabled.

For a parking meter waiver, you will have to submit an Application for a Metered Parking Waiver for Persons with Severe Disabilities (Form MV-664.1MP), and again, you will have to provide a letter from your doctor.

Disability license plates

You can submit an application for a disability license plate by going to your New York DMV office, and providing an Application for a Parking Permit or License Plates, for Persons with Severe Disabilities (Form MV-664.1). You will have to provide your current license plates and vehicle registration. If you are registering a vehicle for the first time, you will have to provide the Vehicle Registration/Title Application (Form MV-82), along with proof of identity.

Disabled veterans

If you are a disabled veteran, then you will have to provide the Application for Military and Veteran Custom Plates (MV-412), along with proof of disability.


All disabled parking permits are subject to renewal, and expiry dates will vary. Permanent renewals vary by jurisdiction. Temporary permits are good for six months. Plates are good for the duration of your registration.

Lost permits

If you lose your permit, or it is stolen, you will have to contact your clerk’s office for a replacement. Depending on your jurisdiction, you may have to re-apply.

As a resident of New York State, if you have a disability, you are entitled to certain rights and privileges. This does not mean, though, that you do not have to fill out the proper paperwork in order to benefit. You have to provide certain information, and you will also have to renew your permit periodically.

This article originally appeared on as Disabled Driver Laws and Permits in New York.

Skip the Repair Shop

Our Mechanics Make House Calls

Autoblog is partnering with YourMechanic to bring many of the repair and maintenance services you need right to you.
Get service at your home or office 7 days a week with fair and transparent pricing.

Get An Instant Quote

Share This Photo X