The state of West Virginia requires vehicle owners to register their vehicles every year. The fee charged for registration is used to help keep roads maintained and for other purposes by the Department of Motor Vehicles. All renewals must go through the DMV.
You should receive your notice for renewal about 30 days before your current registration expires. The notice will include important information about the renewal, including the amount you’ll have to pay as well as the specific date by which you must have your registration renewed. If you do not receive a renewal notice, you still have to renew your registration. You’ll need to use your existing information and still pay on the appropriate date.
West Virginia does allow you to pay for up to two years at a time. One year’s registration is $30, and it’s $60 for two years. If you need a duplicate registration, it’s $5 and if you need a duplicate license plate, it’s $5.50.
Note that while emissions testing is not required in West Virginia and your car does need to have an annual safety inspection. You must have the inspection sticker on your car for it to be road legal.
To renew your registration in person:
If you would like to renew your registration in person you will need to:
- Visit a local DMV Regional Office
- Alternatively, you can renew at your county sheriff’s office
- Bring a completed DMV-44-TR with you
- Bring proof of insurance
- Bring a property tax receipt (proof of residence)
- Bring payment for your fee in cash, check, money order or via credit card (amount will vary depending on how long you’re renewing your registration for)
To renew your registration by mail:
If you'd like to renew your registration by mail you will need to:
- Complete the DMV-44-TR
- Include a copy of your proof of insurance
- Include a copy of your property tax receipt
- Include your renewal notice (or a copy of your old registration if you did not receive a renewal notice)
- Include a check or money order for the appropriate amount
- Send the renewal to the address listed on the DMV-44-TR form
To renew your registration online:
If you'd like to renew your registration online you will need too:
- Go to the West Virginia Online DMV site
- Verify your eligibility
- Provide proof of insurance
- Provide evidence of paid personal property taxes
- Have a valid credit card for payment.
For more information, see the West Virginia DMV website.
This article originally appeared on YourMechanic.com as How to Renew Your Car Registration in West Virginia and was authored by Valerie Johnston.