Getting to and from work on a daily basis in Kentucky can only be done by having a car that is legal to drive. There are a variety of things that a person will need to do in order to keep their car legal, like having it registered with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing. Each year, you will have to make sure that this registration is renewed. Luckily, you will be able to get a notice from the Kentucky DMV reminding you that the renewal is due. Here is what will be on that renewal notice:
- The VIN of the car in question
- The name and address of the vehicle owner
- The expiration date of the current renewal
- The renewal fee that you will have to pay
Taking advantage of the online renewal system
In order to use the online system, you will have to meet certain criteria. Here are the things that you will need to have in order to use this system:
- The current address you are at is on file with the county clerk
- You own the vehicle
- There are no unpaid taxes on the vehicle
- Your current registration is on file with the county clerk
If you do meet these criteria, here is how you will need to go about getting the renewal handled:
- Go to the Motor Vehicle Licensing System website
- Enter your license plate number
- Put in the title number
- Give the site your email address
- Enter your phone number
- Pay the fees that you owe
Handling the process in person
You will be able to handle the registration renewal process in person if you wish. In order to do this you will need to go to your local DMV with the following items:
- The registration certificate
- The car insurance documents
- The money that you need to pay the fees you owe
The registration renewal fees
When going in for this renewal, you will have to pay some fees. Here are the fees that you will can look forward to paying during this process:
- A standard vehicle will cost you $21 to renew
- A motorcycle will be $18.50 to renew
For more information on this process, be sure to go to the Kentucky DMV website.
This article originally appeared on YourMechanic.com as How to Renew Your Car Registration in Kentucky.
Skip the Repair Shop
Our Mechanics Make House Calls
Autoblog is partnering with YourMechanic to bring many of the repair and maintenance services you need right to you.
Get service at your home or office 7 days a week with fair and transparent pricing.