Among the most beautiful states in the country is Hawaii. There are a number of advantages that come to living in this state. Just like any other state, Hawaii will require you to register the vehicles that you have with the DMV. Every year, you will need to make sure that you renew the registration on your vehicle. The state of Hawaii will usually send out renewal notices. This means that you will not have to worry about keeping up with when you have to get this process done. When the renewal notice arrives, it will contain information like:
- The date you need to renew the registration by
- The renewal fee that you will have to pay
- The methods that you can use to renew the registration
- Any traffic violations that are outstanding
- The safety inspections that you will have to undergo
Renew the registration online
One of the most convenient ways that you will be able to renew the registration on your car is by using the Internet. The state of Hawaii makes it easy for you to do this. In order to be eligible to do this, you will need to meet the following criteria.
- You have received the notice in the mail
- The address that you are at has not changed
- The registration is not expired
- The safety inspection for the vehicle has not expired
If you meet this criteria, here is what you will need to do next.
- Go to the online renewal page and select your county
- Enter in the license plate number on your car
- Put in the VIN of your car
- Confirm that everything is correct
- Pay the fee that you owe and print a receipt
Getting your registration renewed by mail
Another option that you will be able to take advantage of when getting a registration renewal is sending it by mail. Here is what you will need to do to take advantage of this option.
- Make sure you have the correct information on the renewal notice
- If your address has changed, you need to document it
- Get a safety inspection certificate
- Pay the fees that you owe and make the check payable to your county
Once you have done all of this, you will need to look up the licensing office in your county and send the forms by mail to them.
Renewal in person
Some people would rather go and handle an important matter like this in person. The following is what you will need to do in order to make this happen.
- Go to the local county office
- Present your renewal notice
- Have proof of insurance with you
- Show them your safety inspection certificate
- Pay your fees
The fee for getting any vehicle registered in Hawaii is $45.
The safety inspection
Before you are able to get your registration renewed, you will need to get a safety inspection unless your vehicle is less than two years old. There are a number of safety inspection stations all over Hawaii. To find out more about this be sure to go to the Hawaii DMV.org page.
This article originally appeared on YourMechanic.com as How to Renew Your Car Registration in Hawaii and was authored by Valerie Johnston.