There are a number of things that a Florida resident will have to do in order to ensure they stay in compliance with all of the laws in their state. If you drive a car on the roadways in Florida, then you will have to make sure you have it registered with the DMV. The renewal for this registration will usually be based on your birthday. You will need to make sure that you renew this registration every two years to avoid being fined. Usually, you will get a renewal notice from the county that you live in that will have the following information on it.
- The fees that you owe
- The date that you need to have the fees paid by
- The information on what type of vehicle you have
- The methods that you can use to renew the registration
Among the most popular options when it comes to renewing registrations in Florida is the online option. This option will allow you to handle this process without having to leave the privacy of your home.
Here is what you will need to do to take advantage of this option:
- Go to the FLHSMV GoRenew page
- Enter either your driver’s license or license plate number
- Enter in your birthdate
- Enter the last four of your Social Security number
- Verify all of your information
- Pay the fee that you owe
Renew your car registration in person
Another option that you will have when trying to renew your car registration is to do it in person. You will need to go to the country tax collector in order to renew your registration in person. You will need to bring the following:
- The notice that you have received in the mail
- A valid Florida driver’s license
- The car insurance policy that you have
- The payment for the fees that you owe
The fees for registration renewal
The fees that you will pay for this process will vary depending on the county that you live in. Here are some of the factors that will decide what is paid.
- The type of vehicle
- The weight of the vehicle
- The length of time you want to register the car
- The fees of the county you live in
If you have any more questions or concerns about the registration process, be sure to visit the Florida DMV website.
This article originally appeared on YourMechanic.com as How to Renew Your Car Registration in Florida and was authored by Valerie Johnston.