The five-door Spark will test America's appetites for small car life with a starting price of just $12,995 (*including delivery) when it arrives in Chevrolet showrooms later this year. Available in a trio of trims, the lineup will start with the well-equipped LS model that includes a whopping 10 airbags, air conditioning, power windows, OnStar and 15-inch alloys.
Stepping up to the 1LT trim will cost $14,495, but it adds an audio system with seven-inch color touchscreen, USB connectivity and satellite radio. Additional features include keyless entry, power mirrors, cruise control, Bluetooth ("for select phones") and mundane items like visor mirrors and floor mats. The range-topping 2LT ($15,795) will be distinguished by a unique set of 15-inch wheels, sportier body-color fascias, fog lamps and additional exterior brightwork. Inside, heated, leatherette-covered seats and a leather-wrapped wheel spruce up the cabin.
Regardless of which trim spec is selected, buyers will find a 1.2-liter Ecotec four-cylinder underhood, and a five-speed manual is standard equipment, though a four-speed automatic can be substituted for $925.
GM announced back in October that it will also bring a Spark EV to "select markets" in the U.S. sometime in 2013, though it has yet to announce pricing or an on-sale date for the pure electric runabout.
2013 Spark Packs Technology and Features into Small Price
Mini car comes in three trim levels starting at $12,995 including destination
DETROIT – Chevrolet is taking the guesswork out of the car-buying process with a new, simpler approach to pricing and packaging for the 2013 Spark. When the mini car goes on sale later this year, Spark will be available in three well-equipped trim levels starting at $12,995 including destination.
Spark is a sporty, fuel-efficient, four-passenger, five-door hatch designed to excite first-time car buyers and city dwellers with bold styling, attention-grabbing colors – including Salsa, Jalapeno, Denim, Lemonade and Techno Pink – engaging driving dynamics, the personalized connectivity of MyLink, and the safety of 10 standard air bags.
Spark also offers more passenger and cargo room than other mini cars such as the Fiat 500, Smartfortwo and Scion IQ.
"With the Spark Chevrolet has the opportunity to connect with a new generation of car buyers who expect more from every product they purchase," said Chris Perry, vice president of Chevrolet Global Marketing. "So we wanted to make the process of choosing a Spark as simple as possible by reducing the number of stand-alone options and providing more standard content to each trim level at a competitive price."
Spark LS starting at $12,995 includes:
- Standard 1.2L Ecotec engine and five-speed manual transmission
- Standard convenience features including air conditioning, power windows, rear window wiper, auxiliary input jack, outside temperature display and trip computer
- 15-inch alloy wheels
- 60/40 split flip-and-fold rear seat
- Comprehensive safety package including 10 air bags, electronic stability control with traction control and brake assist
- OnStar Directions & Connections plan standard with six-month introductory subscription
Spark 1LT starting at $14,495 includes LS standard content and adds:
- Standard 7-inch color touch radio with Chevrolet MyLink, Bluetooth connectivity for select phones, steering wheel audio controls, USB port and Sirius XM Radio with three-month trial subscription
- Other standard convenience features include power door locks with remote keyless entry, theft deterent system, outside power mirrors, floor mats, visor mirrors, and cruise control
Spark 2LT starting at $15,795 includes all 1LT standard content and adds:
- Unique 15-inch alloy wheels
- Fog lamps
- Exterior appearance enhancements including silver painted roof rails; chrome lift gate handle, exhaust outlet and beltline molding; body-color lower rocker molding; front and rear body-color sport fascias with unique front upper and lower grille inserts
- On the interior, leatherette seats and heated front seats and leather-wrapped steering wheel
A 4-speed automatic transmission is available on all models for $925. The only other available options include an engine block heater for $75 and Black Granite paint for $195.
Chevrolet MyLink in the Spark will include Pandora internet radio and Stitcher Smart Radio apps. Later in the model year, the recently introduced GogoLink – an embedded smartphone application that delivers full-function navigation including live traffic updates – will be available. Pricing for GogoLink will be announced later.
Spark is the only car in its segment to provide the added value of a five-year, 100,000-mile powertrain warranty and the safety and security of OnStar.
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.