To their credit, Shelby American has kept pace the past few years, introducing an 800-horsepower Super Snake and the almighty Shelby 1000. The latest Super Snake model takes things another step further, offering up an incredible 850 horsepower. If that's too much to handle, customers can opt out of the supercharger upgrade and stick with the factory 662 ponies.
Of course, there's more to the Super Snake than just raw horsepower. The post-title package includes items like upgraded front and rear brakes, Borla exhaust, sport suspension, Shelby-designed 20-inch wheels and a beefier cooling package. There's also the signature stripes, fiberglass hood and an optional widebody kit that allows for wider wheels and tires.
In total the Super Snake package will lighten your wallet by $28,995, not including the base GT500, or $39,995 if you opt for the 850 horsepower version.
Scroll down below to read the official details from Shelby.
"When Ford launched the 2013 Shelby GT500, we were bombarded with requests for Shelby American to offer a Super Snake package for the car," said John Luft, president of Shelby American. "Our team worked closely with Ford Racing and other key partners to develop our new fire breathing snake. The result is the most powerful base model Super Snake ever at 662 horsepower, which is available at prices lower than previous models. By checking off a few boxes in the series of optional equipment, you can take home a street-legal 850 horsepower version that runs on pump gas."
For the 2013 model year, Shelby American takes the stock Ford GT500 and kicks it up to the next performance level with new options and styling changes. Customers can choose between Satin Black or Gloss White stripes to be paired with new wheels in Satin Black or Bright Silver Metallic, along with new silver and blue stripes paired with limited base vehicle colors. Offered for the first time in Shelby American's history will be a choice of rear-only or front and rear "wide body" packages with an optional 14 inch rear wheel and tire package, as seen on the Carroll Shelby Tribute car developed by Ford and Shelby American that was unveiled in Monterey.
The 2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake will make an appearance at the upcoming Barrett-Jackson collector car auction in Las Vegas, September 27 – 29.
"The Shelby GT500 Super Snake has been the big dog of the Shelby American lineup," added Shelby American Vice President of Production Gary Davis. "With Ford's new 2013 Shelby GT500 having 662 hp right out of the box, along with our new wide body putting 14 inches of rubber on the ground, this car will be a game changer when it comes to power to the pavement performance."
The Shelby GT500 Super Snake is a post-title program based on the Ford Shelby GT500. The 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Super Snake post title package includes:
• Standard base tune is 662 HP and 631 ft./lbs. of torque
• 6-speed manual transmission with 3.31:1 rear axle ratio and short-throw shifter with optional 3.73:1
• Upgraded suspension package
• Shelby Performance cooling package with a new radiator, heat exchanger and aluminum cooling tanks
• New spoked Shelby-designed 20-inch wheels and performance tires
• Shelby / Borla exhaust system
• Optional Shelby / Ford Racing 850 hp Whipple supercharger or 850 hp Kenne Bell supercharger
• Forged Shelby / Wildwood brakes with 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rear calipers and cross drilled / vented rotors
• Front brake cooling ducts and behind the door side scoops
• Unique fiberglass hood featuring classic Shelby Super Snake design
• Shelby signature Super Snake stripes in either satin black, gloss white, silver or blue
• "Super Snake" vehicle badges, and unique CSM number interior and engine plates
• "Shelby" lettering across the rear deck lid
• Optional two tone leather interior
• Shelby signature embroidered headrests, floor mats and other Shelby designed components
The 2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake post-title package starts at $28,995.00 for the 662 HP version and $39,995.00 for the 850 HP model, not including the base car. Only 500 of these cars will be built, all at the Shelby American factory in Las Vegas. Customers can build their dream Shelby Super Snake online with the "Build-One" program at http://shelbyamerican.com/buildhome.asp. Those interested in a car can also contact the Shelby American sales department at (702) 942-7325 or go to www.shelbyamerican.com.