Video: Garage fire claims Chevy Volt and homebuilt EV *UPDATE

Chevrolet Volt garage fire – Click above to watch video after the jump

No one was hurt – but two plug-in vehicles were destroyed – in a fire in a home in the Connecticut town of Barkhamsted last night. The cars were a brand-new 2011 Chevrolet Volt with just 2,000 miles on the odometer and a converted all-electric Suzuki Samurai that the homeowner, Storm Connors, converted himself years ago. At this early stage, it is impossible to tell if one or the other vehicles was the cause of the blaze – or if it was one of the charging systems or the garage's electrical system – but firemen who responded to the 911 call said that this is one angle that the investigators will look in to. Local news channel WTNH reports that Connors, "likes his cars too much to think having them charging in the garage started the fire." Another news channel, WFSB, says that, "fire officials suspect an electric hybrid car may have sparked" the blaze.

You can watch a video news report of the aftermath after the jump. Interestingly, Connors himself has commented on AutoblogGreen stories in the past, so our thoughts go out to a reader who is dealing with a terrible loss. Hat tip to Pete!

UPDATE: Official statement from GM's, Doug Parks, Global Electric Vehicle Executive, is available on Check it out here.

[Sources: WFSB, WTNH]

The video meant to be presented here is no longer available. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Share This Photo X