The last time I wrote about Mitsubishi's upcoming electric vehicle, the i MiEV, we were discussing just how bullish the automaker is on this EV. Still, all that enthusiasm was telling us that the i MiEV would come to dealers in 2010. Now, Automotive News' Kathy Jackson reports (subs req'd) that the i MiEV's release date in Japan might be moved up to 2009, with 1,000 vehicles possibly ready for sale at €17,000 ($24,800US) that year. This possible change comes courtesy of Mitsubishi President Osamu Masuko, so let's not discount it quickly. He told Jackson that "We are making preparations at the moment to accelerate" the on-sale date. As previously mentioned, the i MiEV will come to Europe and possibly the U.S. after its Japan debut. Bullish, indeed. A car like this can't come soon enough.
- The Sun drives the Mitsubishi MiEV and finds it acceptable
- CAR likes the Mitsubishi i-EV even better than the gas version
- Mitsubishi iMiEV gets 20-30 percent more range from new battery
- Tokyo Preview: More official pictures of Mitsubishi's i-MiEV sport
- Mitsubishi's i-EV moving towards production, available perhaps in 2008