This year marks the 40th anniversary Mazda rotary power, and to celebrate, the automaker is building 200 RX-8 Rotary Engine 40th Anniversary edition cars for sale in Japan. Each is finished in Marble White, features special badging and some unique features like a leather and Alcantara interior. Retro-style contrast-stitched leather trim is meant to evoke the classic Cosmo Sport, and it's also got Bilstein dampers and a foam-filled front cross member. Power output is the same as what's found in standard RX-8 Type S (6MT) and Type E (6AT) models, so like other RX-8 specials, this is all paint, accessories, and trim. It sure looks nice, though. Complete details are in Mazda's press release after the jump.
Mazda Releases 'Rotary Engine 40th Anniversary' Commemorative Limited Edition RX-8 in Japan
HIROSHIMA, Japan-To commemorate forty years of Mazda's rotary engine vehicles sold globally, Mazda Motor Corporation has commenced sales of a limited edition model Mazda RX-8 throughout Japan. The RX-8 Rotary Engine 40th Anniversary edition is available from today at all Mazda and Mazda Anfini dealerships.
Since the 1967 introduction of Mazda's first vehicle powered by a rotary engine, the Cosmo Sport (known as the 110S overseas), Mazda has continued to produce and sell various rotary engine-powered cars, most notably the Familia Rotary Coupe (known as the R100 overseas), the Savanna (RX-3), RX-7, and Eunos Cosmo. Currently, Mazda is working on technical improvements in fuel economy and environmental performance for its rotary engines. Mazda also intends to advance the potential of the hydrogen rotary engine as part of its long-term vision for technology development, Sustainable Zoom-Zoom, which was announced in March 2007.
The RX-8 'Rotary Engine 40th Anniversary' model is based on the RX-8 Type S (six-speed manual transmission) and the Type E (six-speed automatic transmission) model grades. The interior is designed to evoke the Cosmo Sport heritage and includes exclusive black genuine leather and light silver ALCANTARA®* combination seat covers. The exclusive Marble White body color and special limited edition badges mounted on the side panels are perfectly suited to commemorate the fortieth year of Mazda's rotary engine vehicle sales. Special equipment -- including exclusive Bilstein dampers and a urethane foam-filled front suspension cross member -- has been fitted for a higher quality ride and better performance.
The manufacturer's suggested retail price for both the six-speed manual and automatic versions is 3,150,000 yen (including consumption tax). Production will be limited to 200 units.
Features of the Mazda RX-8 Rotary Engine 40th Anniversary model
- Mazda RX-8 Type S (6-speed MT model) or Mazda RX-8 type E (6-speed AT model)
- Semi-gloss chrome light bezels (fitted to headlights and rear combination lights)
- 40TH ANNIVERSARY ROTARY ENGINE badge
- 18-inch highly reflective Dark Silver chrome aluminum alloy wheels
- Front fog lights (with blue reflectors)
- Exclusive black genuine leather and light silver ALCANTARA®* combination seat covers and light silver synthetic leather door trim are a modern interpretation of the Cosmo Sport's unique interior design.
- Eight-way power-adjustable front seats with power lumbar support.
- Exclusive black leather-wrapped steering wheel and hand brake (with grey stitching)
- Exclusive black leather-wrapped gear shift (with grey stitching) on the MT model
- Aluminum pedals and footrest (These are special equipment for the 6-speed AT, but are standard equipment on the MT base model.)
- Water repellent glass coating (windshield glass, front door windows, and door mirrors)
- Advanced keyless entry & engine starter system
- By using rotors that have been finely balanced for their weight and rotation characteristics, the smooth performance of the rotary engine has been further enhanced.Special engine cover
- The Bilstein dampers were exclusively designed for this limited edition RX-8 in order to achieve higher levels of performance and comfort.
- The urethane foam filling provides the ideal amount of vibration suppression to deliver a desirable degree of direct feedback, ensuring a high quality steering feel.
- Large diameter disc brakes (These are special equipment for the 6-speed AT, but are standard equipment on the MT base model.)
- 225/45R18 91W tires and 18-inch alloy wheels (These are special equipment for the 6-speed AT, but are standard equipment on the MT base model.)
- The classic shade, Marble White, is offered exclusively.
* ALCANTARA® is a registered trademark of Alcantara S.p.A.