America's "Cash for Clunkers" bill is on the cusp of being signed by President Obama, but according to a new survey by Rasmussen Reports, a majority of U.S. citizens aren't in favor of the plan.

According to the telephone survey, fully 54% of those queried are against the measure, while 35% are in favor and 12% aren't sure how they feel about it. That's up from a similar survey done last month, in which just 34% were against consumer vouchers for trading in older, less efficient cars and trucks. In fairness, Rasmussen Reports indicates that the change could have been influenced by a change in the wording of the respective surveys (the initial survey did not indicate how much the program might cost the government).

While that news may not perk up the spirits of Capitol Hill, the survey's findings that 17% of those asked say they are "very likely" to purchase a new vehicle this year because of the program (and a further 18% admit they are somewhat likely) ought to cheer up a few members of Congress.

Perhaps most interesting of all is news that many Americans would appear to have little faith in the ability of the government to help General Motors improve its fortunes, with 41% expecting for GM's quality to deteriorate under federal ownership. (Presumably, this leaves 59% of those surveyed that feel otherwise or are undecided). Perhaps more damaging is that the study's findings say that fully 57% of those questioned believe that the government is likely to pass laws and regulations that give Chrysler and General Motors unfair advantages over other automakers that did not receive bailout funds.

Oddly, Rasmussen Reports' findings to not disclose the number of people it surveyed, or any +/- accuracy estimates. Perhaps one has to have a 'premium membership' to get access to that data. In any case, check out the link for more of the study's findings.

[Source: Rasmussen Reports via Instapundit | Image: Matt Cardy/Getty]

Share This Photo X