Marketing can either be done via the 2X4 approach of hitting the customer over the head with the concept or with something a bit more subtle. The latest ads from Chrysler may just have a little of both aspects to them. It's very apparent that the company wants you to know that they are working on making their cars, specifically the interiors, more comparable with competitors' offerings, but those looking closely may notice the eco-friendly cars that are placed in the ads as well.
The ad shows a kid designing a car company by listening to what people want, and the subtle hint is that they realize that their customers want more fuel-efficient vehicles. According to Autoblog, though, the ads will feature vehicles like the Chrysler 300C, Dodge Charger, Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Commander - not exactly the most efficient vehicles on the planet.
Gallery: Chrysler - It's a New Day campaign
[Source: Chrysler, Autoblog]
Chrysler LLC Kicks Off New Day Celebration Campaign and Sets a New Tone for the Company Beginning on Feb. 3
* Chrysler LLC sets a new tone for the company in New Day Celebration campaign with animated cross brand spot and eight product specific spots
* Listening to dealer and customer feedback, Chrysler LLC debuts 12 Chrysler, Jeep® and Dodge vehicle value packages
* New advertising airs Feb. 3 in 55 Markets around the Super Bowl
Auburn Hills, Mich., Feb 1, 2008 -
Setting a new tone for the company, Chrysler LLC launches the New Day Celebration campaign that includes a new animated cross brand spot, titled "Listen to You," eight product-specific dealer spots that highlight 12 vehicles. The advertising breaks regionally in 55 markets as part of Dealer Advertising Association (DAA) local buys around the Super Bowl on Sun., Feb. 3.
Overall, the campaign theme is based on the new Chrysler LLC direction as a company that listens to its customers and is committed to moving fast and responding to customer and dealer feedback. The eight retail-oriented product specific spots will highlight 12 specific vehicle value packages that are available starting in February for the New Day Celebration promotion.
The animated "Listen to You" cross brand spot features a young boy creating his own automotive company by listening to what people want. The spot closes with "It's A New Day" and www.ChryslerListens.com. The overall theme of listening and giving customers more value is seen in the eight vehicle spots including the three spots (Chrysler 300 spot titled "Post It," Dodge Charger spot title "Engine" and the Jeep® Grand Cherokee and Commander spot called "Blindfold") which air Feb. 3.
"We're moving fast to earn the trust of dealers and customers and prove that we are listening," said Deborah Meyer, Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer. "In the first 60 days after Chrysler became private, we approved 260 line item improvements to our products."
The overall media strategy for New Day Celebration focuses on four "breakthrough" February events including the Super Bowl, Daytona 500, Super Tuesday and the Academy Awards with national or locally purchased media either prior to the event, event programming or post event, as well as online advertising on AOL, Yahoo!, MSN & Google.
"Our intent is to be very strategic with media and online initiatives by being where high volumes of people will go prior to, during or after major events to create a dialogue," said Meyer. "We have a great story to tell, about a company that is dedicated to putting the customer first and to improving the quality of everything we touch."
Examples of Super Tuesday media include NBC's Meet the Press hosted by Tim Russert, Nightly News special half-hour program, exclusive sponsorship of new Nightly News Online for the entire month of February and MSNBC's "Morning Joe on the Road" featuring Joe Scarborough, former Florida congressman, and local news programming emphasizing the 22 states that contain February primaries.
The New Day Celebration is the first initiative to show Chrysler LLC is listening and placing customers first with new product features and the industry's first online Customer Advisory Board, which will launch within the next couple of months. Details about the New Day Celebration product features can be found on ChryslerListens.com, Chrysler.com, Jeep.com and Dodge.com home and vehicle pages.
"With all of the changes, we have the opportunity to really get back in step with the American public," said Meyer. "Our task is to challenge old perceptions and build a new image that is strong and relevant to today's consumers – and prove that it really is a New Day for Chrysler."
The following New Day Celebration vehicle packages give customers more content at a tremendous value on 12 Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge vehicles starting February 1.
* Chrysler Aspen Limited package features no charge sun roof, no charge MyGig™ with ParkView rear camera, 18-inch chrome clad wheels, heated leather seats (first row), two-tone leather seats with embossed logo, two-tone leather wrapped steering wheel, premium floor mats and Signature Series badge. The Chrysler Aspen Limited G 4x4 includes $3,355 in value for a price of $1,855.
* Chrysler PT Cruiser LX Street Cruiser package includes deep tint sunscreen glass, 16" aluminum chrome clad wheels and tires, chrome bodyside moldings and lock knobs, bright front door sills and accent ring cup holders, front and rear floor mats, "Street Cruiser Series" liftgate badge. The PT Cruiser LX Street Cruiser package includes $1,770 in value for $775.
* Chrysler 300 Signature Series will now include no-charge MyGig multi-media entertainment system with navigation and no charge two-tone trim seat. It also includes 18-inch chrome aluminum wheels, 18-inch all-season tires, all chrome grille, heated front seats, side curtain/side mounted air bags, power adjustable pedals, express up/down windows and rear view auto dim mirror. The 300 Signature Series feature package has a value of $4,330 for $2,580.
* Sebring sedan features no charge MyGig entertainment system on the Sebring sedan Touring and Limited models which is a $650 or $300 value respectively.
* Sebring Convertible buyers also receive the no charge MyGig entertainment system on the Touring and Limited models, which is a $300 value.
* Chrysler Town & Country Touring Signature Series model features no charge dual DVD rear entertainment system, premium center stack bezel, remote start, electronic vehicle information center (EVIC) and Signature Series badge. The Signature Series package offers $2,200 of value for $695.
* Dodge Charger SE Plus features a 3.5-liter V-6 engine, electronic stability program (ESP), traction control, anti-lock braking system (ABS), 17-inch cast aluminum wheels, SIRIUS satellite radio, eight-way power driver seat, SXT interior upgrades (satin silver bezels, spears, etc.) premium floor mats and body side stripe. The Charger SE Plus package is $3,195 in content value for $1,400.
* Dodge Grand Caravan SE will feature Stow n' Go® standard at no charge on the base SE for the first time. This is a $945 MSRP value.
* Dodge Caliber SE Plus package features air conditioning, Chill Zone™, air filtration and 17-inch aluminum wheels, which is a package value of $1,695 for $795.
* Dodge Avenger features the no charge MyGig entertainment system as standard equipment on the SXT and R/T models for a value of $650 or $300 respectively.
* Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Commander features the no charge MyGig entertainment system with navigation on the Limited or Overland models which is a $900 value.