New Zealand has bold plans for greening its automobile transportation. In the "Energy Strategy to 2050" report, presented by New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark, there are calls for major changes such as:
- 5 percent of cars to be plug-ins by 2020, rising to 60 percent by 2040.
- 25 percent of cars to be fuel cells by 2050.
- 25 percent of vehicle fuels to come from renewable sources by 2020, rising to 80 percent by 2050.
- 80 percent of New Zealand's government vehicle fleet able to run on 10 percent biofuels or electric power by 2015.
- Fuel economy increased 25 percent by 2025.