- Economy - the claimed fuel consumption in combined conditions and likely running costs, based in part on the NRMA's annually compiled data.
- Practicality - size, number of seats and doors, and boot space.
- Value - purchase price, standard gear and quality.
- Image - a bit subjective, but even a practical purchase isn't without an emotional quotient.
- Driving - derived from CARSguide's on-road experiences.
Analysis: Fuel economy has always been a factor in car reviews but it seems to be gaining more and more importance in this world of rising fuel prices. Great work from Mazda to take the diesel fight to the Europeans. I'll tell you what though, from the look of this list Honda must be doing something right as well.