Race programs have always been used by automakers to increase awareness and raise vehicles' credibility in the eyes of the consumer. On November 15, the latest example will be on display at the Baja 1000, where Toyota will have a race-prepped FJ Cruiser on hand for the challenging 1000-mile competition. Veteran racer Rod Millen, his son Ryan, and Adam Dupre will pilot the truck, which is based on the upcoming FJ Cruiser TRD limited edition. The full suite of mods is listed after the jump, but the highlights are obviously the fully redone suspension, rollcage, Hella lights, racing fuel cell, and off-road exhaust.
According to the release from Toyota, the powertrain appears to have been pretty much left alone. Assuming that the truck completes the race, expect to hear a lot more crowing from Toyota about the FJ's off-road prowess. We'll say this: the FJ Racer looks absolutely bitchin'. Next week, we'll see just how well it walks the walk.
(Press release, additional photos after the jump)
Click images to enlarge
FJ CRUISER RACE TRUCK:
2007 FJ CRUISER TRD LIMITED EDITION:
FJ Cruiser Race Truck To Debut At The 38th Baja 1000
11/01/2006 Torrance, CA
November 1, 2006 – Torrance, CA - The FJ Cruiser Race Truck will make its racing debut at the 38th Baja 1000 from November 15-18, 2006. The grueling race is run from Ensenada to La Paz across Mexico's beautiful, but barren Baja California. Entered in the Mini Stock Class, the FJ Cruiser Race Truck will be driven by the father-son team of Rod and Ryan Millen, with additional driving support from Adam Dupre.
The FJ Race Truck contains several performance and safety modifications including a revised suspension and heavy-duty rollcage among the most visible, yet it remains primarily a stock vehicle. Performance features include BFG A/T LT285/75R16 tires on 16-inch black TRD wheels with two onboard spares. The Fuel Safe Sportsman 22-gallon fuel cell provides an added safety feature.
The Race Truck is based on the all-new Toyota Racing Development (TRD) Special Edition FJ Cruiser sport utility vehicle (SUV). The TRD Special Edition FJ Cruiser is a unique limited edition package available on 2007 FJ Cruiser four-wheel-drive models. The special package contains several performance, exterior, and interior enhancements.
Only 3,200 of the TRD Special Edition FJ Cruiser will be produced. It goes on sale at Toyota dealerships this week.
Rod Millen is synonymous with rallying, off-road racing, and the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. After enjoying tremendous success in rallying, Millen joined forces with Toyota in 1991, where he dominated the Mickey Thompson Off-Road Racing Series, becoming the only driver in the 12-year history of the series to win three consecutive Grand National Sport Truck titles. Rod is also the current record holder in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb with an overall time of 10 minutes 4.6 seconds, set in 1994 in an all-wheel drive Toyota Celica Turbo. He claimed five overall Pikes Peak Championships and eight class championships.
Following in the family tradition, Ryan Millen has enjoyed motorsports success since he began racing pee-wee dirt bikes in 1994. Racing in New Zealand, Ryan captured the 2002/03 South Island Formula Ford Championship.
Rod Millen founded MillenWorks in 1980. The company evolved from a high-performance racing company into today's diverse engineering, prototyping and product development business. Headquartered in Tustin, Calif., MillenWorks has teamed with Lockheed on unmanned military vehicles, and also specializes in concept vehicles, contributing to the Lexus IS 430, Lexus Street Rod, Toyota Retro Cruiser, and the Ultimate Toyota Celica.
FJ CRUISER RACE TRUCK SPECIFICATIONS
• BFG A/T LT285/75R16 tires on 16-inch black TRD wheels with two onboad spares
• Donahoe Racing 2.5-inch front coilovers valved as spring carriers with modified front spring rates
• Fox Racing 2.5-inch external bypass rear shocks
• Tilton 5/8-inch front and 7/10-inch rear brake master cylinders
• Two-inch stainless exhaust with MegaFlow muffler and catalytic converter removed
• 4.88 front and rear axle gears
• Beard Ultra Pro racing seats, driver's seat adjustable, co-driver's seat lowered for improved center of gravity
• Crow five-point, quick release racing harnesses
• Dual output RaceAir air filtration and pumping system
• Fuel Safe Sportsman 22 gallon fuel cell with remote fill through stock location
• Seamless 4130 two-inch diameter x 0.120 inch wall rollcage
TRD SPECIAL EDITION FJ CRUISER SPECIFICATIONS
• TRD/Bilstein off-road tuned, red painted shock absorbers
• TRD has synchronized the locking differential with Active Traction control
• All Black paint scheme with a Black roof and "TRD Special Edition" badges
• TRD 16-inch alloy wheels with a gun metal gray painted finish and BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires with wheel locks
• TRD performance exhaust and rock rails
• Special Edition package is equipped with seat-mounted side airbags and front and rear side curtain airbags
• Multi-informational display which includes compass, inclinometer and temperature gauge
• Two-in-one AM/FM audio and six-disc CD changer quickshifter (manual transmission models only)
• All-weather front and rear cargo floor mats with a TRD logo