Volkswagen caught testing hotter Golf R 400
The prototype seen here sports bigger brakes, different wheels, very low-profile tires, a front lip spoiler, and a wing around back – that last bit looks to be borrowed from the GTI Clubsport. It's not nearly as outrageous-looking as the original R 400 concept, but that's okay with us. Volkswagen's production hot hatches have always been pretty subtle. We love a good sleeper.
Under the hood, expect a turbocharged powertrain tuned up to over 400 horsepower. It'll be mated to a dual-clutch transmission and 4Motion all-wheel drive – two parts of the current Golf R package that work very, very well.
There's no telling exactly when we'll see the production Golf R 400, assuming it's actually, really, finally happening. All we can do now is wait. And salivate.
VW Golf R Information
- Our favorite reveals from the LA Auto Show
- You can probably get a great deal on a new Fiat
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide
- Is it time to buy a Pontiac Aztek?
- Fastest-depreciating cars in the United States
- Most and least efficient car companies