EngineTurbo 2.0L I4
Power355 HP / 332 LB-FT
0-60 Time4.4 Seconds (est.)
Top Speed155 MPH
Curb Weight3,428 LBS (est.)
MPG21 City/31 HWY (est.)
Base Price$45,000 (est.)
As Tested Price$60,000 (est.)
Little ghost-like leaks keep on happening from some apparent "source" in Germany, telling young cub reporters from the US that the A-Class hatchback range is also coming to the land of hashbrowns. The way we read it, the A-Class, however, will never come to the States, folks, at least not in this decade, anyway.
More's the pity, because, as we and all others noticed at the recent drive event in Germany, for both the A45 and the CLA45, it's the hatch that truly pulls no punches on dynamism. The CLA has clearly been massaged to be just a touch to be more civil than the excitingly bratty A45.
- As we said in the recent First Drive for the CLA45, the A45 is a decidedly different concoction from the usual straight-line marauders of the AMG lineup. The chassis is dramatically more alive and communicative, and we really like it.
- From now on, AMG is putting some form of 4Matic traction under every car. That means some compromises – good and not so – will happen. In this case, the hang-on all-wheel-drive unit creates a much more capable sporting drive versus a straight front-wheel-drive setup.
- That said, some people who talk like they've driven the car will shower both the A45 and CLA45 with their prejudiced derision. They'll proclaim – no matter what we say – that these are cheapo overpriced front-drive Euro econoboxes. It also means that there'll be more of these great cars for those of us who dig 'em.
- While we dashed around on roads and Autobahn, our track time for this event was relegated to AMG Performance chassis-prepped A45 AMG Edition 1 units, a limited-run setup for Europe that pimps the ride out to around €57,000 base price (roughly $75,000 due to exhilarating European taxation policies and an overvalued Euro). Ride along for a spot of this action, in the video below.
- Realistically, an A45 would need to start at around $45k in the US. The fully tricked Edition 1 as at this track, however, would bring about $60k for starters. Enough to make American blog comments go ballistic.
- The optional matte Mountain Grey Designo exterior paint and darkened multitudinous-spoked 19-inch AMG wheelset of our street-tester A45, go together like ham and eggs. This unit had everything on it apart from the Edition 1 trickery and overly excited aero bits, and we think it's all the better for it.
- The experts on hand at this drive event finally admitted that the ratings of the elasto-kinematics fore and aft of the suspension were, in fact, different for the A45 versus the CLA45. The handling that is possible with the hatch is pure premium hot and it's a sensation we've never had before in an AMG.
- Mercedes conservatively claims a 0-62 miles per hour acceleration time of 4.6 seconds for the A45, but we're certain a 4.2 will be possible and repeatable.
- This M133 2.0-liter motor is a remarkable piece of work, and it meshes really well with the seven-speed AMG dual-clutch, with shift action that is equal to that in the SLS AMG GT. A manual six with good heel-and-toe pedal placement would have been entertaining, but the automated DCT is hot stuff.
Autoblog accepts vehicle loans from auto manufacturers with a tank of gas and sometimes insurance for the purpose of evaluation and editorial content. Like most of the auto news industry, we also sometimes accept travel, lodging and event access for vehicle drive and news coverage opportunities. Our opinions and criticism remain our own — we do not accept sponsored editorial.