Models equipped with an automatic transmission will enjoy black leather seats with red contrasting stitching. Mazda says that the RX-8 Spirit R will also feature a sport-tuned suspension and larger brakes, as well as 18-inch gun metallic wheels. A total of three exterior color options will be available, including Aluminum Metallic, Sparkling Black Mica and Crystal White Pearl Mica. Hit the jump for the press release.
- Mazda RX-8 production to end summer 2012; rotary engine development will continue -
HIROSHIMA, Japan-Mazda Motor Corporation has announced the Mazda RX-8 SPIRIT R, a special edition version of its four-door, four-seat rotary engine sports car. The RX-8 SPIRIT R will go on sale from November 24, 2011 at all Mazda and Mazda Anfini dealerships throughout Japan. Mazda RX-8 production will end in June 2012 and SPIRIT R will be the final special edition model. Mazda expects to sell 1,000 units.
Mazda RX-8 SPIRIT R (with six-speed manual transmission)
The RX-8 SPIRIT R is based on the RX-8 Type RS (with six-speed manual transmission) and Type E (with six-speed electronically-controlled automatic transmission). It is named after the final limited edition Mazda RX-7, and this pedigree is reflected in stylish features that include exclusive seat design and colored alloy wheels. Additionally, Mazda's curtain and front side SRS airbag system, which is available as a factory-installed option on the base models, will be offered as standard equipment. Following the launch, the Mazda RX-8 lineup will consist of the SPIRIT R and the Type G (with six-speed electronically-controlled automatic transmission) model grades only.
Takashi Yamanouchi, Mazda's Representative Director, Chairman of the Board, President and CEO, said, "Mazda's iconic rotary engine recorded its famous victory in the Le Mans 24-Hour endurance race 20 years ago. Throughout 2011, we have been celebrating the 20th anniversary of that victory by demonstrating the winning 787B racecar at Le Mans' Circuit de La Sarthe and various other events around the world. At each one, the screaming rotary engine and the sight of the 787B have enthralled everyone from young children to race fans who witnessed its victory in 1991. These events have been a powerful reminder of the widespread passion for the rotary engine. Although RX-8 production is ending, the rotary engine will always represent the spirit of Mazda and Mazda remains committed to its ongoing development."
Main features of the limited Mazda RX-8 SPIRIT R series
RX-8 Type RS (with six-speed manual transmission) and RX-8 Type E (with six-speed electronically-controlled automatic transmission)
For both manual and automatic transmission models
* Exclusive SPIRIT R badge
* Front headlights, front fog lights and rear combination lights (with black bezels)
* Front and rear brake calipers (red)
* Transmission tunnel trim (piano-black)
* Curtain and front side SRS airbag system
Exclusive to the manual transmission model
* Specially-made SPIRIT R bucket seats from RECARO
* 225/40R19 89W tires and 19-inch alloy wheels (bronze)
Exclusive to the automatic transmission model
* Leather seats (black with red stitching)
* Leather-wrapped steering wheel (black with red stitching)
* Parking brake lever (with red stitching)
* Center console box front seat armrest and rear console box lid covered with synthetic leather (with red stitching)
* Sports suspension, larger brakes
* 225/45R18 91W tires and 18-inch alloy wheels (gun metallic)
Exterior body colors
* Aluminum Metallic
* Sparkling Black Mica
* Crystal White Pearl Mica