Chevy Volt's 120v charging cable getting too hot?

According to an article at All Cars Electric, a number of Chevy Volt owners who regularly charge up their cars using standard 120v outlets and the included charging cable have noticed that the cable is getting hot and becoming discolored. One owner even reported a cable growing hot enough to cause a 2nd-degree burn. GM is reportedly making replacement cables available to owners whose cables become cracked or brittle.

The Chevy Volt may not have caused the fire that burned a garage in Connecticut last April, but that doesn't mean there's no potential for sparks. As with anything in your home that plugs into an outlet, there's always the possibility of a problem. The Volt's 16-kWh battery pack doesn't have the cavernous capacity of some pure EV systems, but recharging can still place a sizable draw on your home's power. For daily charging, GM recommends a 240-volt charging station that can take the batteries from 0 to 100 percent in around four hours. However, because the Volt can be charged in 10 hours using a normal 120v outlet, many owners have decided to avoid the expense of installing a charging station.

Chevy Volt owners, like anyone plugging in an appliance, should make sure that the outlets they are using are not overloaded and that cables are clear from potentially flammable materials. GM spokesman Robert Peterson told AutoblogGreen:

The condition (worn, damaged or age) of the electrical outlet in the wall is often the culprit due for the increase in temperature to the UL certified cord. If the AC wall plug feels hot while charging, then the owner should simply unplug the charge cord and have the AC wall outlet replaced by a qualified electrician.

[Source: All Cars Electric]

Share This Photo X