Under the terms of the agreement, Mitsubishi and the State of Hawaii will cooperate on a host of plug-in vehicle-related initiatives throughout the state. Details can be found in Mitsubishi's presser after the jump.
With a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $27,990 (not including the destination charge) for the base ES model before a federal tax credit of $7,500 and Hawaii's just-announced clean energy rebate of up to $4,500, the Mitsubishi i will effectively cost $15,990 in the islands. Cutter Mitsubishi in Aiea, Hawaii will have a Mitsubishi i available for test drives later this fall.
[Source: Mitsubishi Motors]
Jun 7, 2011
CYPRESS, Calif., June 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) and the State of Hawaii have entered into an agreement that will seek to vastly improve the infrastructure and deployment for the new Mitsubishi i and other advanced 100% electric-powered vehicles (EVs) for residents of America's tropical island paradise. "Mitsubishi's agreement and its choice of Hawaii as one of its launch states are important and welcome steps toward the State's clean energy goal of 70 percent by 2030," said Estrella Seese, Acting Energy Program Administrator, Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism, in Hawaii's State Energy Office. "Car buyers interested in electric vehicles can reduce the cost of owning these cars with purchase rebates and incentives for installing chargers in their homes being offered by DBEDT with support from federal stimulus funds. We encourage people to take advantage of these great offers because more EVs on the road means Hawaii reduces its dependence on imported oil."
Under terms of the cooperative agreement, Mitsubishi Motors and State of Hawaii will foster a host of EV-related advancements throughout the state in areas including:
* Mitsubishi Motors agrees to make Mitsubishi i electric vehicles and service training available through their Cutter Mitsubishi dealership
* Actively pursue a deployment of DC Quick Chargers, such as the CHAdeMO protocol utilized in Level 3 Quick Charging EV charging stations, in the State of Hawaii to assist in the demonstration and education of electric vehicles as a viable source of transportation to the Hawaii general public
* Creating activities designed to educate and engage Hawaiian residents about the use of EVs as a viable and convenient form of transportation
* Supporting emerging businesses and business models related to EV development and workforce deployment helping create job opportunities in the area of green technologies (for example, electrical specialists to help support infrastructure)
* Aiding in the development and deployment of training programs at tech schools and community colleges to train technicians to provide support and maintenance of EVs and their related infrastructure
* Mitsubishi Motors agrees to provide information and recommendations on EV strategy and infrastructure – Mitsubishi Motors has sold thousands of electric-powered production vehicles throughout Japan and Europe and has vast knowledge in this arena
Mitsubishi Motors has selected Hawaii to be among the first states to receive the North American-spec production version of the Japanese auto manufacturer's breakthrough 100% electric-powered vehicle. Licensed drivers will be able to test drive the new Mitsubishi i at Cutter Mitsubishi in Aiea, Hawaii later this fall.
With a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $27,990 for the base ES model before a federal tax credit of $7,500 and Hawaii's clean energy rebate of up to $4,500 (subject to availability of funding), the Mitsubishi i is the most affordably-priced mass-produced electric vehicle available in the United States.
Visit i.MitsubishiCars.com for more information and to learn how to pre-order this groundbreaking environmentally-friendly and energy-efficient vehicle.
About Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales, marketing, research and development operations for Mitsubishi Motors in the United States. MMNA sells coupes, convertibles, sedans and sport utility vehicles through a network of approximately 400 dealers. In November of 2011, MMNA will launch the battery-powered electric vehicle Mitsubishi i as part of a corporate mission to offer consumers more environmentally responsible modes of transportation. This battery-powered electric vehicle technology addresses the need for vehicles that produce zero tailpipe emissions and support a growing agenda for sustainability. For more information, contact the Mitsubishi Motors News Bureau at (888) 560-6672 or visit media.mitsubishicars.com.