1970 Ford Boss 302 Mustang - Click above for high-res image gallery
Ford Racing is continuing to launch its assault on all forms of motorsport with the upcoming launch of the 2010 Boss 302R Mustang to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the original Boss 302's 1970 Trans-Am championship. No photos of the car have been released quite yet, but we do have plenty of information thanks to a leaked letter to Ford dealers. Like the FR500S, FR500C, FR500CJ and other Mustangs available from the Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog, the Boss 302R is for off-road use only and will be built in very limited quantities. Just 50 are planned for production at a starting cost of $79,000.
Two versions of the 302R will be available, with the base package designed to compete in various SCCA and NASA classes and the upgraded version built to Grand-Am KONI Challenge Series specifications. The base Boss 302R includes a 5.0-liter four-valve V8 pushing out an estimated 400 horsepower as well as a six-speed transmission, race-spec suspension, brakes and tires, and safety equipment including a roll cage and race seats with safety harnesses. The Grand-Am spec version also gets a sealed high-output race engine, seam-welded body, racing fuel cell, a data acquisition system and more for a cost of $129,000.
Ford Racing is currently taking orders, and judging by sales of their other competition Mustangs you will need to order immediately if you want to get your hands on one. Follow the jump for more information and detailed specifications of the 2010 Ford Racing Boss 302R.
Photos copyright ©2009 Drew Phillips / Weblogs, Inc.
Ford Racing Announces Limited Edition (50 units) 2010 Boss 302R Mustang
To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Mustang Boss 302's iconic 1970 Trans-Am championship, and to build on the success of the Mustang FR500C (winner of 2005/2008/2009 Grand-Am Championships), Ford Racing is proud to announce the development of a new race-prepared road racing Mustang – the 2010 Ford Racing Boss 302R. Details of this exciting program have already begun to surface, and we want to ensure our dealers hear about it from us first.
The Ford Racing Mustang Boss 302R will be a factory-built race car, ready for track days and road racing in a number of SCCA and NASA classes. An optional Grand-Am Homologation Package will be available for the Grand-Am KONI Challenge series. While details are intentionally limited at this time, the following should help you assess the product and its appeal.
- Continue the winning tradition of Mustang racing
- Build limited to 50 units
- Off-road only (VIN replaced by serial number)
- Estimated pricing, $75,000 WD, $79,000 MSRP
- Build/delivery in 3rd -4th Qtr 2010
- Ford Racing Part #: M-FR500-BOSSR
- 400 hp (est.) 5.0L 4V engine
- 6-speed manual transmission
- Roll cage
- Race dampers/springs, brakes, tire
- Race seats, safety harness
- Sealed high output race engine with upgraded cooling system
- Close ratio 6-speed transmission with integral shifter
- Seam-welded body
- Race suspension/KONI dampers and ABS brake tuning
- Race wheels/tires
- Race performance exhaust
- High speed balance 1-piece driveshaft
- Racing fuel cell
- Race data acquisition
- Grand-Am spec vehicle is estimated to be $129,000 MSRP ($124,000 WD)
- Vehicle orders should be placed with the Ford Racing warehouse, 800-367-3786.
- Priority delivery will be given to multiple vehicle orders.
- An "off-road only" competition release will be required prior to delivery of the race car to the dealer.
- Production of only 50 units is under consideration for 2010, so dealers are encouraged to submit their orders before December 31, 2009.
- Questions about ordering should be directed to Wayne Geoffrey (firstname.lastname@example.org).