You can also stop by the Ford booth at the LA Auto Show and submit your clever-yet-corporate nomenclature. The contest is on now and runs until the middle of December. Make the jump for all the details.
[Source: Ford Mustang Facebook]
* For 2012, the Ford Mustang V6 Performance Package will get a new name, by engaging Facebook fans to submit their idea for the best name for the package that appeals to track-day fans and sports car aficionados alike
* The contest runs through mid-December, with the winner walking away with a two-year lease on a new 2012 Ford Mustang V6 with the Performance Package he or she helped name
* The Performance Package combines lightweight 305-horsepower all-aluminum V6, a 3:31 performance rear axle and Mustang GT-based suspension and braking components. Unique 19-inch wheels and Pirelli performance tires provide superb grip and aggressive appearance
DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 19, 2010 – The Ford Mustang Facebook community is more than 940,000 strong, and they are being asked to put their heads together to come up with a name for the V6 Performance Package that gives Mustang an extra dose of handling performance. The contest to name the new package kicks off today on the Ford Mustang Facebook fan page.
"The V6 Performance Package is a great example of what's at the core of Mustang – fun, fast and affordable," said Amy Marentic, Ford group marketing manager. "It makes sense for us to continue the accessibility of the package by having our fans help name it, and it's a fun and unique way to engage enthusiasts."
Facebook fans can suggest a name on the Mustang Facebook page, and reach out to their friends in the social media world to help propel their pick to the top five names. A gallery on the Facebook page will let visitors see all of the choices that can be voted on. After the five most-voted names have been selected, Ford will choose the name that best shows off the personality of the package.
"We're utilizing the power of social media to not only talk about what a fantastic package this is, but to also let Mustang fans across the country share a piece of it," said Brian McClary, Ford social and emerging media specialist. "It's a nontraditional approach to naming a piece of brand that millions of people identify with."
The winner not only has the satisfaction of knowing his or her name will play a role in the iconic brand, but will also win a two-year lease on a 2012 Ford Mustang V6 with the Performance Package. Names can be submitted through mid-December, when the contest comes to a close.
Visitors to the 2010 Los Angeles Auto Show also can get in on the fun by stopping at the Ford stand to submit their idea for the fast and fun package.
The Performance Package takes advantage of the new 2011 Mustang 305-horsepower all-aluminum Ti-VCT V6 engine's lightweight and high-revving nature to deliver a nimble performance car equally at home on a road course or a road trip.
Borrowing from the Mustang GT, the Performance Package includes numerous suspension, braking and body stiffening upgrades to deliver unparalleled handling performance. That road-holding is helped by a near-equal front/rear weight distribution, providing exceptional transient response along with the car's slimmed-down curb weight of less than 3,500 pounds.
2012 Mustang Performance Package includes:
* A 3.31 rear axle ratio for quicker off-the-line acceleration
* Mustang GT coupe front and rear stabilizer bars
* Mustang GT front struts and rear shocks/springs
* Shelby GT500 rear lower control arm
* Unique 19-inch wheels
* Pirelli performance tires for improved grip
* Mustang GT front and rear brake calipers with Performance Friction pads
* A strut tower brace for increased body rigidity
* Unique electronic stability control calibration with sport mode for performance driving
* Unique badging
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 163,000 employees and about 70 plants worldwide, the company's automotive brands include Ford, Lincoln and Mercury, production of which has been announced by the company to be ending in the fourth quarter of 2010. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford's products, please visit www.ford.com.