There may be a bunch of conspicuously absent automakers missing from this month's Tokyo Motor Show, but the thing about the Japanese show is that a lot of the really neat stuff comes from the hometown guys, anyway. Take Daihatsu, for instance. Rather than try to wow everyone with fairy-dust tech in concepts that will never see the outside of an exhibition hall, The D is keeping things simple, small, and real. Even the concept cars look like they're not that far removed from reality. Let's start there.
The coolest rig at the Daihatsu stand will doubtlessly be the Basket concept, shown above, which lets you get more in touch with nature via a removable hard roof panel and fabric top for the rear seat. We want one. Badly. The Decca Decca concept (shown at right) is described as a "Super Box" by the automaker, with massive swing-out doors on the passenger side that lead to a nifty, multi-configuration interior. The van's driver's side has one standard door only. Aft of that is a solid panel broken up by a high window. Again, very cool.
The e:S concept looks production-ready, and we'd guess something just like it will be in showrooms before long. It's a kei car built on a shortened, existing platform, with a white Mini Cooper-style roof for added flair, plus weight reduction and a stop/start system for increased efficiency. Those three concepts are joined by the Tanto Exe and Exe Custom, which are production-bound, lightweight, restyled variants of the Tanto micro-minivan. Daihatsu's press release is posted after the jump, along with full image galleries of each car. Check 'em out.
Daihatsu to Exhibit the e:S, Tanto Exe and other vehicles at Tokyo Motor Show
DAIHATSU MOTOR CO., LTD. (Daihatsu) plans to exhibit six concept cars of four different vehicle series and nine production vehicles along with new technologies at the 41st Tokyo Motor Show to be held from October 24 to November 4 at the International Convention Complex (Makuhari Messe) in Makuhari, Chiba Prefecture.
The Daihatsu Group slogan "Innovation for Tomorrow" will serve as the overall theme, while each exhibit will express the keywords for mini vehicles: eco, lifestyles, and fun.
Of the vehicles that will be on display, the e:S focuses earnestly on the impact that automobiles have on the environment and embodies the roles that mini vehicles should play. In order to maximize the underlying superior environmental performance of mini vehicles, the e:S successfully achieves high fuel efficiency of 30km/liter* through state-of-the-art improvements to existing technologies.
The Tanto Exe, based on the Tanto, which continues to enjoy strong sales, features a lighter body and higher fuel efficiency, as well as superior styling, a luxurious feel and a high level of comfort. It was developed with an expansive interior for use by a diverse range of drivers in a wide range of situations. Daihatsu plans a market release for the Tanto Exe in the future.
The Deca Deca was designed with leisure use in mind and maximizes utility, while the "basket" supports a slow pace of life in close contact with nature. Both models propose new possibilities for mini vehicles.
1. e:S (eco & smart)
A new eco-car that reveals the future role of mini vehicles
- The e:S is based on a current platform with the wheelbase shortened to 2,175mm. Although it has compact exterior dimensions, the package can accommodate four adult passengers.
- In addition to a compact body, the use of slim, lightweight seats and the replacement of many materials with lighter versions limits total vehicle weight to 700kg.
- The e:S is equipped with a conventional mini vehicle engine fitted with a combustion control system developed by Daihatsu and an EGR, as well as an Idling Stop System.
- The high environmental performance of mini vehicles is maximized by combining existing technologies to achieve fuel efficiency of 30km/liter* without the use of an electric motor or other systems.
- Fuel efficiency under the 10-15 Japanese test cycle; measurements made by Daihatsu.
2. Tanto Exe & Tanto Exe Custom (planned production vehicles)
The Tanto Exe and the Tanto Exe Custom were developed as lighter and more fuel efficient versions of the Tanto, which features an expansive interior. They are compact models that offer superior styling, a luxurious feel and high levels of comfort for use by a diverse range of drivers in a wide variety of situations.
- Like the Tanto, both vehicles feature expansive interiors at the top levels in their classes.
- The high-quality seats and sophisticated interiors allow adults to enjoy the pleasure of driving.
- The exteriors express both quality and vitality.
- The Tanto Exe Custom offers a premium feel that further enhances the sense of quality.
- Vehicle length by width by height; as of October 2009; according to Daihatsu survey.
3. Deca Deca
A "super box" that employs low, flat floor technology and features an expansive interior space that can be used in pursuing a range of various hobbies.
- The low, flat floor and pillarless, side-by-side doors (135 degrees) provide superb ease of ingress and egress and loading and unloading.
- The slim fold-away seats can be arranged in a variety of patterns to perform work inside the vehicle or stow large items.
- The robust exterior features a well-defined three-dimensional form that expresses stability.
- The modern interior emphasizes functionality.
This slow pace of life open 4-seater model with a wide rear deck is designed for full enjoyment of life, such as for trips to the family vegetable plot out of the city.
- The four-seat vehicle features a removable hardtop roof over the front seats and a removable canvas top over the rear seats.
- The rear deck (located behind the rear seats) allows the transport of tools without having to worry whether they are clean or not.
- The relaxing seats and interior feature a motif that evokes the feel of linen material.
A total of nine vehicles including the
- Mira Cocoa
- Move Conte
- Tanto WELCOME SEAT (rotating and sliding seat fitted on specially equipped vehicles to facilitate boarding and exiting the vehicle)
- Tanto Custom
- Move/Move Custom