The most expensive vehicles to insure in America
Car insurance is more expensive today than ever before. According to data provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the average cost to insure a vehicle increased by 33 percent between 2010 and 2016, and it hasn't gotten any cheaper since then.
Still, some vehicles are more expensive to insure than others. Expensive luxury cars generally cost more to insure than economy cars, and anything with lots of horsepower is going to have a high premium. So, it's not surprising to see high-performance German luxury models dominating the highest brackets of insurance.
Insure.com ran the numbers on more than 3,600 vehicle models and trim levels to find out which machines are the most expensive to insure. Click on the image above to see the top 10.
10. Mercedes-Benz S560 4MaticAverage yearly insurance premium: $3,514
9. Mercedes-AMG SL63Average yearly insurance premium: $3,549
8. Mercedes-AMG S65Average yearly insurance premium: $3,585
7. BMW i8Average yearly insurance premium: $3,603
6. BMW M6 Gran CoupeAverage yearly insurance premium: $3,637
5. BMW M760i xDriveAverage yearly insurance premium: $3,705
4. Mercedes-AMG GT R
Average yearly insurance premium: $3,751