Last year Ford made the Mustang's 5.0L V8 available as a crate engine. Shortly thereafter, many of them found homes in some well-deserving cars. Now, Ford Racing is offering the Boss 302's 5.0L V8 as a standalone purchase through its performance parts catalog, allowing anyone to put the 444 horsepower engine into their own project car.
The difference between the Mustang's standard 5.0L V8 and the Boss 302 variant is more than just 32 horsepower. The Boss 302 features a new high-flowing intake manifold; CNC-machined cylinder heads; upgraded exhaust valves; forged pistons, connecting rods and crankshaft; a more aggressive camshaft and more. All of those upgrades cost a pretty penny, though. Ford Racing lists the Boss 302 V8 crate engine at $11,999.00, while the standard 5.0 will cost you just $6,999.00.
Follow the jump for a full list of features, or let us know what vehicle you'd drop a Boss 302 into via the comments below.
[Source: Ford Racing]
Boss 302 Crate Engine Features:
- 11.0:1 compression ratio
- Lightweight aluminum cylinder block features cross-bolted main bearing caps and thick main bearing bulkheads for bottom-end strength
- Features large sump 8.5 qt oil pan with revised oil pan baffling for improved oil control under hard cornering
- Revised composite intake system with shorter runners, inspired by Ford Racing's Daytona Prototype engine program
- 80 mm single bore "drive by wire" throttlebody
- High-strength aluminum-alloy cylinder heads with fully CNC-machined ports and chambers for exceptional high-rpm airflow without sacrificing low-speed torque
- Sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved heat dissipation
- Forged aluminum pistons and upgraded sinter-forged connecting rods for improved strength
- Includes manual transmission engine harness and flywheel
- Vehicle harness and PCM not included
- Boss 302 crate engine shown with optional Ford blue coil pack covers FRPP part # : M-6P067-M50B and NVH insulator pads, Ford dealer part # :CR3Z-6N041-A. sold separately.
- Engine mount bosses and bellhousing mount pattern common to 4.6L modular engines.
- Engine weight: 444 lbs