Subaru has released official details on what we will be seeing in the 2011 Forester. The company had previously announced that the new 2.5-liter boxer four-cylinder engine will find its way under the CUV's hood, as will the same turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder found in the current XT. Speaking of the XT, Subaru will now offer the range-topping Forester in XT Premium and XT Touring guises, with Touring trim replacing Limited as the top of the line. That brings along goodies like self-adjusting HID headlights, dual-zone climate control and a backup camera.
Meanwhile, Subaru has packed in a few more goodies on nearly every trim level. Bluetooth hands-free calling and a one-touch up/down driver's window comes standard on every Forester with the exception of the very base model. In addition, it looks like both the 2.5X Premium and 2.5XT Premium will boast a new audio system complete with six speakers, USB and AUX inputs, as well as iPod and Satellite radio capability. Hit the jump for the full list of changes.
* All-new engine for Forester 2.5X models (turbocharged 2.5XT retains current engine); new bore/stroke dimensions with slightly longer stroke; displacement slightly larger (2,498 cc vs. 2,457 cc); chain driven double overhead cam vs. belt driven single overhead cam before; 170 horsepower is same as before, at slightly lower rpm; torque is up to 174 lb.-ft. at 4,100 rpm (vs. 170 @ 4,400 rpm); fuel economy is improved: 2011 manual and automatic transmissions -- 21 mpg city / 27 mpg highway vs. 2010 20/27 for manual and 20/26 for automatic.
* New 2.5X Touring positioned above Limited: features HID headlights (low beam) with automatic height adjustment; display audio system with backup camera; dual zone automatic climate control; silver finish roof rails; electroluminescent gauges, and side mirrors with integrated turn signals.
* 2.5XT models now include 2.5XT Premium and 2.5XT Touring, the latter replacing 2.5XT Limited as top Forester model.
* 2.5XT Premium gets new 10-way power driver's seat.
* Bluetooth® standard on all but base model.
* Backup camera standard on 2.5X Touring and 2.5XT Touring as part of new audio system.
* New standard audio system for 2.5X Premium and 2.5XT Premium: AM/FM stereo with single-disc CD player and six speakers; 3.5mm auxiliary input jack; Bluetooth® hands free calling and audio streaming; iPod control capability; USB port and Sirius Satellite Radio capability.
* New optional TomTom Navigation System for 2.5X Premium includes removable 4.3-inch touch-screen portable navigation device; AM/FM stereo with single-disc CD/DVD player and six speakers; 3.5mm auxiliary input jack; Bluetooth hands free calling; iPod control capability and USB port. Also, a backup camera is available as an accessory with this system.
* New audio system with rear camera for 2.5X Limited and Touring and 2.5XT Touring models: AM/FM stereo with single-disc CD/DVD player and six speakers; 4.3-inch display screen, Radio Broadcast Data System; 3.5mm auxiliary input jack; Bluetooth hands free calling and audio streaming; iPod control capability; USB port and Sirius Satellite Radio capability. (The backup camera is standard on 2.5X Touring and 2.5XT Touring and available as an accessory for 2.5X Limited.)
* Driver's auto up/down window with pinch protection (except base model).
* New 17-inch alloy wheel design for 2.5X Premium.
* New body-color roof spoiler on 2.5XT models