Fed up with your Triptronic Boxster? Need more space to haul the kids and their baseball gear? Live in Japan? If you answered "yes" to any of the above, Subaru has a STI they'd like to show you. The Subaru Impreza WRX STI A-Line is aimed at the discerning enthusiast looking for a more relaxed ride from their performance hatch, someone who isn't interested in messing with the manual gearbox that comes standard on the top-spec Impreza.
The 300-horsepower, turbocharged 2.5-liter boxer four remains the same, equipped with Dual Active Valve Control System (AVCS) to boost low- and mid-range torque and a Tumble Generation Valve (TGV) that supposedly controls the stream of air into the intake for optimal combustion. Subaru is offering the A-Spec exclusively with a five-speed automatic gearbox featuring "Downshifting Blipping Control" and steering wheel-mounted paddles. A new body color – "Satin White Pearl" – is included, along with an eight-way power-adjustable driver's seat and optional leather trim and front seat heaters. While we're pretty sure Subaru Japan's PR team made a mistake on the brake specs – listing the front discs at a whopping 17-inches and the rear rotors at 16-inches – if not, the A-Spec has enough stopping power to halt the rotation of the earth.
FHI to introduce a New Additional Model in the Subaru Impreza WRX STI: A-Line
Tokyo, February 24, 2009 - Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today launches "Subaru Impreza WRX A-Line" which is a new addition to the current WRX STI model. The model goes on sale nationwide through Subaru dealerships today in Japan.
Based on the Impreza WRX STI, the WRX STI A-Line model was developed to offer its distinctive driving performance to a wider range of customers by integrating 2.5-litre turbocharged Boxer engine and 5 Speed Automatic Transmission with SPORTSHIFT*.
In addition, the current WRX STI was given some refinements to enhance comfort and quality feel; 8 way power adjustable front seats and a new body color, "Satin White Pearl", is now available.
*SPORTSHIFT is a registered trademark of Prodrive Ltd.
The model features the exclusively developed 2.5-litre Subaru BOXER turbo engine with SPORTSHIFT* E-5AT, while retaining the basic component such as chassis and body of the WRX STI, Subaru's performance flagship.
- The unique 2.5-litre BOXER engine comes with a single scroll turbocharger and produces a flat torque from the low and mid-rev range to high-rev range.
- Dual Active Valve Control System (AVCS) was adopted to control continuously valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves, which improves low and mid-range range torque, high-rev range output and environmental friendliness.
- Tumble Generation Valve (TGV) controls the intake air stream to generate high combustion efficiency.
- SI-DRIVE (SUBARU Intelligent Drive), that enables the drivers to choose three different engine mappings, is standard.
- Paddle shift is featured to allow manual shifting without requiring the driver to release the steering wheel.
- Downshifting Blipping Control system was adopted. When down-shifting, the automatic transmission control unit interacts with the engine management system and increases engine revolutions instantly and to the exact required setting.
- Changing gears with the paddle shift can also be done by a temporary operation that does not require the selection lever to be set to the manual position.
- VTD (Variable Torque Distribution)-AWD system was adopted to provide excellent stability of the vehicle, which controls the torque distribution ratio between the front and rear axles depending on driving conditions.
- 17-inches ventilated dual piston disk brakes for the front, and 16-inches ventilated disk brakes for the rear were fitted.
- VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control) System is standard.
- 8-way power adjustable driver's seat is standard. Leather seats are available as optional and include (front) seat heating. Soft leather door trim with silver stitch is featured.
- Engine type: Horizontally-Opposed 4-cylinder DOHC 16-valve turbocharged engine
- Displacement: 2457 cc
- Maximum output: 221kW (300 PS)/6200 rpm
- Maximum torque: 350 Nm (35.7 kgf·m)/2800～6000 rpm
- Turbo type: Single Scroll turbocharger