Behold Mazda's new kei car, the AZ-Wagon. Like its predecessors, the new AZ is simply a rebadged Suzuki Wagon R. In this case, the donor vehicle is the just-introduced Wagon R Stingray, which eschews the standard Wagon R face in favor of a more squared-off , Toyota bB/ Scion xB-like (last-gen, that is) appearance.
Since the AZ-Wagon is a straight rebadge, all the features of the Stingray can be found here, including HID headlamps, black cloth interior, premium audio system (for the turbocharged, direct-injected Custom Style DI model), and keyless entry and start. Unlike its Suzuki twin, the Mazda gets only two kei-spec engines. The Custom Style DI gets the top-end 64 horsepower direct-injected 4-banger, while the Custom Style X receives a normally-aspirated 54-horse 3-cylinder with VVT. (Suzuki buyers get the added choice of a non-direct-injected turbo engine.)
As is always the case, 2WD and AWD are available for both trim levels. The only available transmission is a 4-speed auto. Complete details and pricing can be found after the jump.
Mazda AZ-Wagon Custom Style Now On Sale in Japan
Mazda's new AZ-Wagon series combines bold exterior design with a high quality interior styled in black
HIROSHIMA, Japan--Mazda Motor Corporation today announced the addition of the new Custom Style series to the Mazda AZ-Wagon micro-mini range. Sales commence today at all Mazda Autozam, Mazda and Mazda Anfini dealers throughout Japan.
The Custom Style series unites the excellent packaging and functionality of current AZ Wagons with brazen and stylish exterior design and a high quality interior finished with a black motif.
The two grades offered are the Custom Style DI, with a direct injection (DI) turbo-charged engine, and the Custom Style X, with a variable valve timing (VVT) engine. Manufacturer's suggested retail prices range from 1,197,000 to 1,608,600 yen, including consumption tax. The target sales volume for the entire AZ-Wagon range is 2,200 units a month.
Main features of the AZ-Wagon Custom Style series
A bolder, stylish exterior
- A premium quality chrome grille with xenon high intensity discharge (HID) headlights set in a row on both sides gives the front fascia a distinct presence. Additionally, an exclusively-designed bonnet and a front wraparound bumper have been added to create a bolder appearance.
- Clear combination taillights help the rear styling stand out on the Custom Style models.
- Exclusively designed 14-inch alloy wheels.
- Turn indicator lights affixed to the door mirror covers (exclusive to the Custom Style DI).
- The deep purple body color, Mysterious Violet Pearl, is available for the first time. Pearl White, Silky Silver Metallic, Bluish Black Pearl 3 and Azure Grey Pearl Metallic complete the choice of five body colors that accentuate the attractive styling.
High quality interior with a black motif
- Exclusive black fabric on the seats and door trim produces an interior with a high quality feel.
- Light reflecting particles within the sand black design create a glittering effect on the instrument panel center stack garnish and door armrests to enhance the AZ-Wagon's presence. The interior also features black metallic airvent bezel rings and meter dial bezel rings.
Superior comfort though enhanced features
- Advanced Keyless Entry & Start system is standard on all grades.
- The Custom Style DI model grade includes a high-grade sound system. The system features an exclusive audio tuning unit with a seven-speaker setup, comprised of front and rear door speakers, front tweeters and a sub-woofer, to create a stimulating audio environment inside the cabin space.
- Fully automatic air conditioning (with a catechin air filter) maintains a comfortable cabin temperature and comes as standard on all model grades.
|MSRP||(*Price of the model shown)|
|Tax included||Tax not included|
|Custom Style X||660 DOHC
|Custom Style DI||660 DOHC
Direct Injection Turbo
|-||If the special body color Mysterious Violet Pearl or Pearl White is chosen, the price increases by 21,000 yen (tax included).|
|-||A separate recycling fee of 9,370 yen is necessary in addition to the manufacturer's suggested retail prices listed above (tax included).|