Huh, will you look at that. Bipartisan support for public transportation in Minnesota

Smarter transportation choices should be, when you think about it, a non-partisan issue. We're all pretty much in favor of reducing damage to the environment caused by our cars, aren't we? Now, whether or not we take action on this desire is another matter entirely. Perhaps you remember this headline in The Onion a few years ago: "Report: 98 Percent Of U.S. Commuters Favor Public Transportation For Others"?
Well, this week there was good news out of Minnesota that lots of people support funding for public transportation. There is a Transportation Amendment on Tuesday's ballot that would, if approved by the voters, gradually add an additional $300 million to roads and transit funding statewide, and 40 percent of this ($120 million) will go towards beefing up local and regional public transit (the other 60 percent goes to roads). The $120 million would go towards expanded bus and commuter rail service in counties throughout the state. And, in this era of partisan bickering, the two Democrat and the two Republican leaders of the state legislature are all recommending voters approve the amendment. Gov. Tim Pawlenty and Attorney General Mike Hatch also support the amendment. David Olson, president of Minnesotans for Better Roads and Transit, is quoted in a press release lauding the four party leaders, and Olson represents yet another constituency that wants to see the amendment pass. Olson is president of the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce. We'll check back Wednesday and see if the voters listened.

[Source: Minnesotans for Better Roads and Transit]

Share This Photo X