Mitsubishi Motors launched the all-new 2007 Outlander in North America Wednesday, giving car buyers their first glimpse of the new global platform that will also host the next-generation Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution models.
The new Outlander also gives us the first look at a production vehicle featuring Mitsubishi's new design language, centered around a "diamond cut" front end, leading back into clean, sharp lines with aggressive fender flares.
The compact SUV offers five- or seven-passenger configurations (although the third-row seating is rudimentary, at best), and a "flap-fold" tailgate to ease cargo loading.
More pics and features after the jump.
Three Outlander models are offered, the base ES, the LS and the fully-equipped XLS, all powered by a shiny new 3-liter, 220 hp aluminum MIVEC V6, driving the front wheels through a six-speed Sportronic automatic transmission. LS and XLS models are available with Mitsubishi's electronically-controlled All-Wheel Control AWD system. The low-emissions Outlander will be the first PZEV V6 offered in the U.S. market.
In the vehicle dynamics department, Mitsubishi says that the fully independent suspension of the new global platform give the compact SUV "sport sedan dynamics," aided in part byan aluminum roof which lowers the vehicle's center of gravity. A reinforced Macpherson strut front suspension is tuned for quick steering response and enhanced "feel," while the multilink rear independent suspension has been engineered for better steering stability and improved ride. The all-new, higher-performance four-wheel disk brake system with 11.5 inch vented rotors up front and 11 inch solid rotors in the rear includes ABS with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) on all models.
Major Standard Features (ES)
- Active Skid and Traction Control (ASTC)
- Air conditioning
- AM/FM/CD audio system with MP3 playback capability and six speakers.
- Dual-stage front air bag SRS with front passenger occupant sensors
- Front seat mounted side-impact air bags
- Curtain side air bags
- Anti-lock brake system (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Cruise control
- Engine immobilizer
- Keyless entry
- Power windows, locks and mirrors
LS models add:
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Bluetooth(TM) cell phone-ready pre-wire switch
- Color-keyed folding power side view mirrors
- Driver's seatback pocket
- Floor mats
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- Rear privacy glass
- Roof rails
- Steering wheel remote audio switches
- Two additional 12-volt accessory outlets (one in cockpit, one in cargo area)
XLS models add over LS:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Automatic climate control system
- Cargo area utility bars
- FAST Key entry system
- Fog lights
- Hands-free Bluetooth(R) cellular phone interface system with voice recognition
- Sportronic(R) magnesium steering wheel shifter paddles
- Underfloor-stowable compact third row seat
Luxury Package (XLS only) featuring:Xenon HID headlamps with auto-leveling; leather seating surfaces (front & 2nd row); power driver seat and heated front seats.
Sun & Sound Package (LS and XLS models) featuring:650-Watt (max) Rockford-Fosgate Premium Audio system with PUNCH(R) control; 6CD/MP3 in-dash changer (LS); auxiliary stereo input jack; power glass sunroof with sunshade and SIRIUS Satellite Radio with six months free service subscription.
HDD Navigation & Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System (XLS only) featuring:Hard Disk Drive (30GB) satellite GPS navigation system with 7-inch touch panel and music server function and single-disc player.
Entertainment Package (LS only) featuring: DVD rear seat LCD 9-inch monitor with remote; infrared wireless headphone (1); auxiliary video input jack and 115-volt accessory outlet.
[Source: Mitsubishi Motors]