The Spirit R doesn't skimp on the extra trim bits inside and out, with larger brakes clamped by red calipers, piano-black transmission tunnel trim, Recaro Sprint R bucket seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel and an enhanced traction control system among the bonus features.
Both automatic and manual transmissions are offered, but takers have gone decisively for the row-your-own cogswapper, making up 66 percent of orders. Compared to the automatic, they receive larger 19-inch wheels on lower profile tires, a "hard suspension," alloy pedals and aero bits. Hit the jump for the press release with more details.
- An extra 1,000 RX-8s are on their way due to popular demand -
HIROSHIMA, Japan-Mazda Motor Corporation has decided to extend production of the Mazda RX-8 SPIRIT R by 1,000 units. Mazda initially intended to make 1,000 units of the special edition four-door, four-seat rotary engine sports car, but will extend production due to a large number of orders. Sales of the RX-8 SPIRIT R, the final special edition model, were launched in November of 2011.
Mazda has received orders for the special edition RX-8 SPIRIT R from a variety of customers of all ages including sports car fans and rotary engine enthusiasts. The 6-speed manual transmission version is proving most popular, constituting 66% of orders. It features aero parts and Bilstein dampers as well as RECARO bucket seats and 19-inch bronze-painted forged aluminum wheels. Orders are almost equally divided between the three available body colors, Aluminum Metallic, Sparkling Black Mica, and Crystal White Pearl Mica.
Mazda commenced sales of the RX-8 in April 2003, and as of the end of March 2012, has produced 192,094 units (figure includes those intended for overseas sale). Mazda plans to end production of the RX-8 in June 2012.
Main features of the limited Mazda RX-8 SPIRIT R series (disclosed on October 7, 2011):
Special equipment for RX-8 SPIRIT R
For both manual and automatic transmission models
- Exclusive ornament
- Front headlights, front fog lights and rear combination lights (with black bezels)
- Front and rear brake calipers (red)
- Larger brake rotors
- Transmission tunnel trim (piano-black)
- Curtain and front side SRS airbag system
- Driving Stability Control and Traction Control System
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel (black with red stitching)
- Leather-wrapped parking brake lever (with red stitching)
- Center console box with front seat armrest (synthetic leather with red stitching)
- Rear console box with a lid (with synthetic leather)
Exclusive to the 6-speed manual transmission model
- Bucket seats from RECARO (red and black leather* and fabric)
- Hard suspension (with Bilstein dampers)
- 225/40R19 89W tires and 19-inch forged aluminum wheels (bronze)
- Aero parts
- Aluminum pedal set
- Leather-wrapped shift knob (black with red stitching)
Exclusive to the 6-speed electronically-controlled automatic transmission model
- Black leather seats (with red stitching)* and 8-way power seat with memory function
- Sports suspension
- 225/45R18 91W tires and 18-inch alloy wheels (gun metallic)
- Heated front seats
- Leather-wrapped shift knob (black)