The world of open-wheel, Formula One-style racing is set to undergo a major transformation with the introduction of the all-electric FIA Formula E Championship. Governed by the same body that oversees traditional F1 racing, Formula E will bring a legitimate zero-emissions race series to ten major cities across the globe, starting next year.
Today, Formula E organizers released a tentative schedule for the 2014-15 season, which is set to kick off in Beijing roughly one year from now.
2014/2015 FIA Formula E Championship – Provisional Calendar
"Today is a very exciting day for the future of motorsport and we can't wait for the first race to begin!"- Alejandro Agag, CEO of Formula E Holdings
- Round 1 - Beijing, China - 20th September 2014
- Round 2 - Putrajaya, Malaysia - 18th October 2014
- Round 3 - Hong Kong, China - 8th November 2014
- Round 4 - Punta del Este, Uruguay - 13th December 2014
- Round 5 - Buenos Aires, Argentina - 10th January 2015
- Round 6 - Los Angeles, USA - 14th February 2015
- Round 7 - Miami, USA - 18th April 2015
- Round 8 - Monte Carlo, Monaco - 9th May 2015
- Round 9 - Berlin, Germany - 30th May 2015
- Round 10- London, UK - 27th June 2015
"Since launching the Championship last year we have received formal offers from more than 25 cities all over the world making choosing just 10 very difficult indeed," said CEO of Formula E Holdings Alejandro Agag in a prepared statement. "Today's provisional calendar sees us race in the heart of some of the most well-known cities in the world providing a fantastic backdrop and showcasing electric vehicles in their favored urban environments."
The emissions-free races are planned to be roughly one hour in length and feature speeds in excess of 140 miles per hour. Ten teams of two drivers will compete in the ten-round FIA Formula E Championship.
"Today is a very exciting day for the future of motorsport and we can't wait for the first race to begin," said Agag.
Neither can we.