Chevrolet VoltAge has revealed that participating dealerships in Canada are now officially taking orders for the 2012 Chevrolet Volt. The MSRP for Chevy's plug-in up north? It starts at C$41,545 ($43,610 U.S. at the current exchange rate). However, in Ontario, the Volt is expected to qualify for a $8,230 incentive. Likewise, in Quebec, the plug-in should be eligible for up to a $7,769 incentive. Only one trim level will be available to Canadian customers, but two optional packs add some extra items to the mix – a premium package and a rear camera/park assist package
Here's the Volt's tentative Canadian rollout schedule:
- The Volt will initially be available to retail customers in the marketing areas for Vancouver, Victoria, Toronto, Oshawa, Ottawa-Gatineau, Montreal, and Quebec City in the third quarter of this year.
- Within twelve months of the retail launch, the Volt will be available at dealerships nationwide.
- If you're interested in ordering a Volt, you can locate a participating dealer on Chevy.com and contact them to place your order.
Photos copyright ©2011 Zach Bowman / AOL
[Source: Chevrolet VoltAge, General Motors]
Oshawa, ON (Monday, May 2, 2011) – Starting today, participating Chevrolet dealers in seven key launch markets across Canada will begin taking orders for the all-new 2012 Chevrolet Volt. With an MSRP starting at $41,545, the Chevrolet Volt is the industry's first electric vehicle with extended range capabilities. Unlike other electric vehicles in the market, the Chevrolet Volt will never leave anyone stranded with a depleted battery.
"The Chevrolet Volt is an award-winning, leading technology recognized as the only electric vehicle that can meet all your driving needs," said Kevin Williams, president and managing director at GM of Canada. "The Volt delivers it all: dramatic greenhouse gas reductions, a revolutionary propulsion system, progressive styling, spirited driving dynamics, and industry-leading safety, premium amenities, and user-friendly technologies."
The Chevrolet Volt was recently named 2011 World Green Car of the Year at the New York International Auto Show. Prior to receiving this honour, the Volt had already captured many major awards in North America, including:
* North American Car of the Year
* Motor Trend 2011 Car of the Year
* Green Car Journal's 2011 Green Car of the Year
* AUTOMOBILE Magazine 2011 Automobile of the Year
* Car and Driver 10Best
* Popular Mechanics 2010 Breakthrough Technology
* Ward's 10 Best Engines, recognition for Volt's advanced powertrain system
The Volt will initially be available to retail customers in the marketing areas for Vancouver, Victoria, Toronto, Oshawa, Ottawa-Gatineau, Montreal, and Quebec City in the third quarter of this year. Within twelve months of the retail launch, Volt will be available at dealerships nation-wide. It will be offered in one very well-equipped standard trim level, along with two option packages: a Premium Trim Package and a Rear Camera and Park Assist Package.
The Volt is in a class by itself
The Chevrolet Volt is not a hybrid. It is a one-of-a-kind, all-electrically driven vehicle designed and engineered to operate in all climates, with a range of up to 580 km. Powered by GM's revolutionary Voltec propulsion system, it consists of a 16-kWh lithium-ion battery pack and electric drive unit that provide pure electric range between 40 and 80 km, depending on terrain, driving techniques and temperature. A 1.4L gasoline-powered engine extends the range up to an additional 500 km on a full tank of fuel by operating the vehicle's electric drive system until the car can be plugged in and recharged or refueled. This distinguishes the Volt from electric-only vehicles, which cannot be operated when recharging is not immediately available – such as during a power interruption or on a long-distance trip.
"The Chevrolet Volt makes the electric driving experience as productive, efficient, intuitive, safe and fun as any premium vehicle its size in the market today," said Marc Comeau, vice-president of sales, service, and marketing at GM of Canada.
Every major element of the Volt was designed and analyzed for efficiency, including its highly aerodynamic exterior, lightweight wheels, specially designed tires, energy-saving premium stereo system, and more. This attention to detail makes the Volt one of the most aerodynamic and energy-efficient vehicles in the market.
The Volt connects with owners 24/7
There is much more technology inside the Volt than its electric propulsion system. Intuitive features such as high-resolution displays, connectivity and the ability to monitor and control vehicle functions remotely redefine how owners interface with their vehicles.
Key technologies include:
* Touch-control switch system on the center console
* High-resolution, seven-inch, full-color LCD reconfigurable Driver Information Center display. The display shows electric-only range, fuel economy, extended-range, trip information, tire pressure information and other key vehicle messages.
* High-resolution, seven-inch, full-color, center stack-mounted touch screen display that serves as the interface for infotainment and cabin climate controls. An Efficiency (Leaf) switch accesses energy usage, power flow and charging screens – all easy to use and understand.
* Charge modes are customizable according to need and electricity rates for efficient programming and lower costs.
* A key fob that allows drivers to remotely start the vehicle and precondition the cabin based on outside temperatures
* An exclusive OnStar Mylink mobile app that enables owners to engage with the Volt functions using a smart phone.
Volt warranties bring value and peace of mind
Volt owners receive outstanding battery and vehicle limited warranty coverage. In addition to the eight-year/160,000 km limited warranty on the Volt's 16-kWh lithium-ion battery, Chevrolet offers:
* Three-year/60,000 km bumper-to-bumper coverage
* Five-year/160,000 km roadside assistance and courtesy transportation
* Five-year/160,000 km limited gas engine coverage
* Six-year/160,000 km corrosion protection coverage.
About Chevrolet in Canada
Founded in 1911, Chevrolet celebrates its centennial as a global automotive brand with annual sales of about 4.25 million vehicles in more than 140 countries. From today's Cruze Eco which consumes just 4.6 L/100 km on the highway to the Volt coming this fall, which provides up to 80 km of electric, gasoline-free driving and an additional 500 km of extended range, Chevrolet offers gas-friendly to gas-free solutions. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient, safe and reliable vehicles that deliver high quality, expressive design, spirited performance and value. The Chevrolet portfolio includes award-winning passenger cars and crossovers such as Cruze, Malibu, Equinox and Traverse and a host of new, smaller, highly efficient models to come including the all-new Orlando and Sonic (fall 2011) and Spark (2012). Chevrolet also provides iconic performance cars such as Corvette and Camaro as well as dependable, long-lasting pickups and SUVs such as Silverado and Suburban. Most new Chevrolet models offer OnStar safety, security and convenience technologies including OnStar Hands-Free Calling, Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Slowdown. More information regarding Chevrolet models can be found at http://www.chevrolet.ca or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/chevroletcanada.