Holden has unveiled the Holden Series II Cruze, the latest edition of its locally-built compact car. If the name and face look familiar, that's because the Holden is nearly identical to our good ol' American Chevrolet Cruze.
The Aussie version, however, gets a wider range of options, and some interesting versions we won't see Stateside. In particular, Australia will get two performance variants of its locally-built small car, the SRi and the SRi-V. There's also a 2.0-liter turbodiesel version available, which joins the 1.4-liter turbo and 1.8-liter naturally aspirated gas engines. Holden claims the diesel mill is good for 42 mpg, making the diesel Cruze the most fuel-efficient car built in Australia. The entire range meets strict Euro5 emissions standards.
The SRi-V is the top-dog Cruze in Australia. While it doesn't carry a much bigger punch than the others under the hood, it's loaded down gadgets and an complex infotainment system. The SRi-V sports keyless entry and start and remote key technology. The stereo has a 10-gig internal hard-drive, which Holden says will hang on to 2,000 of your favorite tracks.
Power is up across the range, starting with the 2.0-liter diesel, which now churns out a more impressive 160 horsepower and 265 pound feet of torque. The 1.4 turbo, which powers both the SRi and the SRi-V puts out just 138 horsepower, but has 147 pound-feet of torque available between 1,850 and 4,900 rpm.
Check out the differences for yourself in our massive high-res gallery below, or check out the official press release after the jump.
* New model line-up and advanced technology
* Sharp new styling
* More feature-packed value
Holden has unveiled its new locally-built Series II Cruze sedan range that includes the most fuel-efficient car built in Australia.
The new Cruze, built at Holden's Vehicle Operations in Elizabeth, South Australia benefits from a multi-million dollar manufacturing and engineering investment.
With powerful, responsive and fuel-efficient new powertrains, a smooth styling makeover, wider model choices and keen pricing, Holden's 'big small car' is expected to build on the success of its predecessor, Australia's top selling small sedan in 2010.
Two new sports models, Cruze SRi and range topping Cruze SRi-V, join the line-up alongside the high-feature Cruze CDX and popular Cruze CD.
Performance options now include GM's new generation 2.0 litre turbo diesel which returns fuel economy of 5.6 litres per 100km when paired to its six-speed manual transmission (ADR81/01). The combination makes it Australia's most fuel-efficient locally-built car.
The range also boasts an outstanding all-new 1.4 litre intelligent turbo induction (1.4 iTi) petrol engine with variable valve timing which returns fuel economy of 6.4 litres per 100km on manual models.
Meanwhile the 1.8 litre DOHC powerplant, already available on Cruze CD and CDX today, delivers fuel economy of 7 litres per 100km.
All engines meet the high Euro 5 emission standard and have been engineered to better match Australian driving preferences with a balanced blend of responsiveness and fuel economy.
A range of refinements, among them the fitment of Watts link performance suspension with all 1.4 iTi models, results in even more controlled and predictable handling qualities and a smoother, quieter ride.
New-look Series II Cruze styling continues to reflect European design influences, blended with bold Holden signature front and rear fascia treatments and new wheel designs. Cruze SRi models are distinguished by new sports-styling cues.
The Cruze SRi-V comes complete with luxury marque innovations such as passive entry and start with Sensor Key technology. Other smart technology features on the Sri-V include integrated satellite navigation with full colour widescreen display and a premium multimedia audio/DVD system with 10GB hard drive enabling owners to store around 2000 songs. The system also has the ability to pause live radio for up to 20 minutes.
Holden Chairman and Managing Director Mike Devereux said the locally-produced Series II Cruze gave buyers an even more persuasive mix of style and substance.
"We have worked hard to improve on the current model by tailoring the Cruze to better meet the needs of Australian motorists," Mr Devereux said.
"We think our locally-developed range ticks all the boxes for people who appreciate style, comfort and convenience, as well as high-tech performance options and great interior space.
"Cruze also remains one of the safest small cars on the market and more than ever it represents exceptional value for money in true Holden tradition."
Performance and Fuel Economy
GM's sophisticated new generation 2.0 litre DOHC common rail turbo diesel engine is optional on Cruze CD and CDX.
Power output increases by 9 per cent and torque is up by 12.5 per cent compared with the previous model. The 2.0 litre turbo diesel now produces 120 kW at 3800rpm and 360 Nm at 1750 rpm.
Even with the performance boost, fuel economy improves to a frugal 5.6 litres per 100km (with new six-speed manual transmission) and remains at 6.7 litres per 100km with optional six-speed auto.
Meanwhile, an all-new and highly efficient 1.4 iTi DOHC engine with variable valve timing comes standard on SRi and SRi-V models and is optional on Cruze CD.
Also a member of Holden's Ecoline family, the four-cylinder 1.4 iTi produces peak power of 103 kW at 4900 rpm and peak torque of 200 Nm between 1850-4900 rpm; the wide maximum torque range contributing to an enjoyable driving experience.
Matched to a new six-speed manual transmission or six-speed automatic with Active Select, the 1.4 iTi optimises performance and fuel savings. Each model with the 1.4 iTi also comes paired with electronic power steering.
With manual shift, the torquey turbo returns a fuel economy figure of 6.4 litres per 100km and with optional six-speed auto 6.9 litres per 100km.
The 1.8 litre ECOTEC engine standard on Cruze CD and CDX models benefits from Holden engineering refinements that result in a more lively launch feel and all-round improved driveability.
The 16 valve four-cylinder 1.8 litre produces 104 kW of power at 6200 rpm and develops 176 Nm of torque at 3800 rpm.
With five-speed manual transmission, the 1.8 petrol returns 7 litres per 100km; with six-speed auto that includes an improved final drive ratio, it delivers 7.4 litres per 100km.
Cruze is a genuine five-seater with a spacious and well-appointed cabin that contributes to its popular appeal.
The smart twin cockpit layout, quality finishes, flush-mounted soft touch components, integrated centre console and ice-blue LED illuminated instrument panel reflect careful attention to detail. Storage, functionality and convenience features include 60/40 split rear seats, CD player, small item storage as well as four cup and four bottle holders.
Series II Holden Cruze CD standard feature highlights:
* Engine options of 1.8L ECOTEC engine, 1.4 iTi DOHC turbo petrol or 2.0L DOHC turbo diesel.
* New 16-inch wheel trims
* Six-speaker multimedia audio system with radio, in-dash CD, USB flash drive/iPod/MP3 compatibility
* Steering wheel remote audio and cruise controls
* Graphic information display
* Six airbags – front driver and passenger, front side impact, side curtain
* Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
* Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
* Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
* Traction Control
* Collapsible pedal assembly system
* Air conditioning
* Power windows all round
* Automatic headlamps
* Body-coloured door handles
* Wattslink performance suspension (paired to 1.4 iTi model only)
Series II Holden Cruze CDX additional feature highlights:
* Engine options of 1.8L ECOTEC or 2.0L DOHC turbo diesel
* New 17-inch alloy wheels
* Fog lamps
* Leather-appointed seat trim
* Leather-wrap steering wheel and shifter
* Rear park assist
* Heated front seats
* Chrome exterior highlights
Series II Holden Cruze SRi additional feature highlights over CD:
* 1.4L iTi DOHC turbo petrol engine
* Front and rear sports fascia and rocker covers
* Rear lip spoiler
* Sporty five-spoke sports 17-inch alloy wheels
* Chrome door handles
* Sonic blue cloth trim (standard on Voodoo and Karma exterior colours only)
* Watts link performance suspension
* Front fog lamps
* Leather-wrap steering wheel and shifter
Series II Holden Cruze SRi-V additional feature highlights over the SRi:
* Leather appointed seats
* Heated front seats
* Integrated satellite navigation
* Passive entry and start with Sensor Key technology
* Integrated 7-inch colour LCD screen
* Premium audio system with 10GB hard drive, CD/MP3 rip and store capability, DVD player and pause live radio functionality
* Rear park assist
The Series II Cruze is distinguished by a bold new face with Holden's trademark trapezoidal grille and strong chrome accents. There are new headlamps with bright jewelled bezels and new rear fascias feature sharp aero detailing.
New Cruze SRi and SRi-V models emphasise a sporty aesthetic with stand-out styling cues including exclusive front and rear fascia treatments, aero decklid lip spoiler, sports rockers and 17-inch five-spoke alloy wheels.
Cruze's coupe-like proportions are accentuated by a steeply raked windshield, arched roofline and fast-sloping rear pillars. These dynamic design elements, together with minimal front and rear overhangs that emphasise a wide stance, set it apart from the pack.
Local production of Series II Cruze at Holden's world-class vehicle manufacturing facility enables an expanded selection of 10 brilliant exterior finishes and highlights family ties to top-selling Commodore, Sportwagon, Ute and Caprice ranges.
* denotes prestige paint
Note - Mirage Glow and Sizzle not available on SRi and SRi-V
Safety and Strength
Series II Cruze boasts the highest possible five-star ANCAP safety rating, thanks to across-the-range standard fitment of a comprehensive range of high-technology active and passive safety features.
Cruze also benefits from a robust body structure which comprises 65 per cent high-strength steel and a technically advanced chassis systems which deliver enhanced accident avoidance capabilities. Energy-absorbing load paths protect the passenger safety cell and offer optimum protection in the event of a collision.
* Powertrains available in Holden's locally-built Cruze include a 1.8-litre petrol, new 2.0-litre turbo diesel and a new 1.4-litre turbo petrol engine (1.4 iTi)
* The Holden Cruze is the only locally-manufactured small car in Australia and will start regular production in March 2011
* The 2.0 litre diesel manual Cruze is the most fuel-efficient car made in Australia with fuel economy of 5.6 litres per 100km. This model emits just 147 grams of CO2 per kilometrre
Assembling the Holden Cruze
* Cruze, Commodore sedan and Sportwagon, Caprice, Ute and left-hand drive export models are assembled on the same line in Holden Vehicle Operations General Assembly
* The roof, body sides, closures, fascias and majority of interior plastics for the Cruze are manufactured and the vehicle is assembled onsite at Elizabeth
* Cruze bodies are assembled in the renovated South Body Shop with 22 new robots and 48 refurbished robots installed in the fully-functioning layered build line
* Holden Vehicle Operations has added 1800 new parts to the manufacturing process for the Cruze sedan
* Cruze sedan starts regular production in March followed by the Cruze hatch late in the year
* Local production of Cruze enables an expanded selection of 10 brilliant exterior finishes and highlights family ties to top-selling Commodore ranges.
Holden Vehicle Operations
* Holden Vehicle Operations (HVO) currently produces 430 vehicles per day, over two shifts, five days a week and employs 2500 people onsite at Elizabeth
* In 2010 HVO produced 66,245 vehicles and exported 7817 vehicles in 2010 to customers in New Zealand, Brazil, the Middle East, South Africa, the United States and Canada
* Holden recommenced a second shift at Holden Vehicle Operations on the 15 November, 2010 and has begun recruiting for 265 new manufacturing roles
HVO is one of the most flexible automotive manufacturing facilities in the world producing 51 models across two architectures, six body styles and nine variants, including: short wheelbase, long wheelbase, sedans, wagons, utility, short wheelbase hatch, short wheelbase sedan, right-hand drive and left-hand drive.
Local Cruze Sales
* In 2010, its first full year of sales, the Holden Cruze sold 28,334 units and since launch in 2009, the Cruze has sold 43,002 units
* The Holden Cruze was the seventh best-selling model in the country in 2010, the fifth best-selling car in January 2011 and is the best selling small sedan in Australia
Industry and Suppliers
* According to FCAI figures, Australia is one of 13 countries with the capability to design, engineer and build vehicles
* In 2010 146,314 vehicles sold in the Australian market sold were locally built
* The automotive industry is responsible for around $700 million a year in R&D, representing 10% of all business R&D in Australia
* The Australian automotive industry is the largest manufacturing industry in Australia
* The Australian automotive industry directly employs more than 50,000 people and according to the ABS, automotive is the manufacturing industry group that pays the most in wages and salaries
* A large number of local suppliers from South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales have been awarded tier-one contracts in the first phase of the process to localise components for Cruze, with more contracts to be awarded this year
* Alongside Elizabeth, South Australia, General Motors produces the Cruze around the globe at the following locations: Lordstown, Ohio, USA; Bupyeong-gu, Incheon, South Korea; St Petersburg, Russia; Shenyang, China; and Halol, India
* Since its introduction in the first half of 2009, more than half a million Cruze vehicles have been sold internationally
* In 2010 Australia was the third biggest market for Cruze behind China and South Korea
Holden's Small Car History in Australia
* Holden has produced over 809,500 small vehicles in Australia from nameplates including Torana, Sunbird, Gemini, Camira and Vectra
* Small cars previously built at Elizabeth include the HB (1967), LC (1969) and LJ Torana (1972), the RB Gemini (1985) and the JS Vectra (1998)
Cruze Global Awards
* Canadian 2011 Car of the Year
* Decisive Auto's (US) 2011 Urban Car of The Year
* Best 'First Car' in autochic.com.au 2010 Car of the Year Awards
* A top-10 finalist in the World Car of the Year in 2010