EVX Focus– Click above for high-res image gallery
Now that we've learned who the winners of the Automotive X-Prize are, it's time to take a look at some of the less fortunate teams and why their vehicles didn't survive the grueling, four-month-long competition. Teams like American HyPower, K-Way, West Philly, Commuter Cars and others, dropped out of the competition long before the final Validation Stage. The teams encountered a slew of problems, but in the end, many simply failed to reach the level of refinement required to take home the crown. Here's a look at some of the issues that ultimately eliminated teams from the competition:
- American Hypower - ZAMS: Knocked out of competition due to issues with a fuel tank provided by X-Prize officials.
- West Philly Hybrid X (EVX Team) - EVX GT: Failed to properly recharge after its cord was unplugged.
- K-Way Motus: Fell victim due to a lean fuel mixture that destroyed the engine during testing.
- Commuter Cars Tango T600: Could not meet the efficiency level required to stay in the competition.
- FVT eVaro: Vehicle overheated during testing.
Photos by Sebastian Blanco / Copyright ©2010 Weblogs, Inc.
[Source: New York Times]