We headed down to the 2009 Orphan Car Show in Ypsilanti, MI on Sunday and the first orphan we stumbled upon was this unusual hearse. This one off was built in 1927 as a prototype for a line of funeral cars sized for carrying the remains of children. According to the adjacent sign, Albert H Whittekind spent two years carving the wooden adornments on the flanks. The hearse runs on a Graham chassis, which was the truck division of Dodge Brothers before that brand was absorbed into Chrysler. No funeral homes ever purchased any of these smaller hearses and so this one was never replicated. The children's hearse is now owned by Cole Funeral Home of Chelsea, MI.
Photos Copyright ©2009 Sam Abuelsamid / Weblogs, Inc.