Hyundai has been one of the few companies keeping us busy at the Chicago Auto Show. Besides showing the Rhys Millen drift car and announcing pricing for the Genesis Coupe, the automaker trotted out the R-spec enthusiast model.
While the car they brought to the show is basically a concept, the R-Spec package will be available through dealers and will give performance junkies more in some areas and less in others. The full list of equipment is in the press release after the jump, but the highlights are a 210-hp turbo'd inline-four that returns 30 mpg and a top speed of 137 mph. Available only with the six-speed manual, it comes with stability control, ABS, electronic brake force distribution, 19-inch wheels, Brembos, a Torsen limited-slip differential, a beefier suspension and summer-only Potenzas. To reduce cost and weight, the R-Spec doesn't include Bluetooth, automatic headlights, cruise control, trip computer, chrome interior accents and steering wheel audio controls. Basically, the R-spec is packing all the heavy-hitting hardware from the Track model and ditches the frippery that drivers and customizers aren't interested in.
The Genesis Coupe R-Spec will be available mid-2010 with a base price of $23,750, or $3,000 less than the 2.0T Track model. That should allow a lot of extra cash for some tuner bits. Besides the performance tweaks, the R-Spec will only be available in three colors: Karussell White, Bathurst Black and Tsukuba Red. Good names, good colors, good kit and a good price. We're sold. Check out the press release after the jump and the live gallery below.
Live photos copyright ©2009 Frank Filipponio / Weblogs, Inc.
Hyundai Debuts a HIGH–PERFOMANCE BLANK canvas for tuners: Genesis Coupe R-Spec
CHICAGO, Feb. 11, 2009 – When the colors of your new turbocharged rear-wheel-drive sport coupe are named after international racing circuits, you'd better have the performance and confidence to back it up. Now, Hyundai is upping the ante by announcing an R-Spec version of the all-new 2010 Genesis Coupe, designed to appeal to true enthusiasts who want a low starting price and the ability to tune their car to their own specifications. R-Spec will be available as a mid-2010 model year introduction.
R-Spec provides genuine track-readiness in an affordable model. The R-Spec adds core performance equipment to the most affordable 2.0T model, such as: Track-tuned suspension, 19-inch gunmetal-finish alloy wheels with performance summer tires, Brembo® braking system, Torsen limited-slip differential, and R-Spec badging. To further reduce cost and weight, it also eliminates some non-essential convenience equipment such as: Bluetooth®, automatic headlights, cruise control, trip computer, chrome interior accents and steering wheel audio controls. The Genesis Coupe R-Spec will be priced at $23,750 and $3,000 less than the 2.0T Track model, leaving tuners with extra cash for their own choice of aftermarket performance upgrades. Appropriately, the R-Spec will be available in three performance oriented exteriors colors: Karussell White, Bathurst Black and Tsukuba Red.
R-Spec equipment includes:
- 2.0-liter low-pressure turbocharged intercooled four-cylinder engine with dual continuously variable valve timing delivering 210-hp, an estimated 30 mpg EPA highway rating and a top speed of 137 mph
- 6-speed close-ratio manual transmission
- Electronic Stability Control with Traction control, ABS, Electronic Brake-Force Distribution and Brake Assist
- 19-inch gunmetal-finish alloy wheels with staggered-width high-performance summer-compound Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires (225/40YR19 front, 245/40YR19 rear)
- Brembo® braking system with 13.4-inch ventilated front rotors, 42mm four-piston fixed front calipers (red), 13.0-inch ventilated rear rotors, 32mm+28mm four-piston fixed rear calipers (red)
- Track-tuned suspension (higher-rate coil springs, higher-control shock absorbers, 25mm front stabilizer bar, 22mm rear stabilizer bar, front strut brace)
- Torsen-type limited-slip differential
- R-Spec badging
- Quick-ratio hydraulic steering (2.7 turns lock-to-lock)
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Front, side, side air curtain air bags
- Active front head restraints
- Driver's lumbar support
- Air conditioning
- Remote keyless entry system
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- Power windows (one-touch up and down), door locks and mirrors
- AM/FM/XM/MP3/CD audio system with six speakers
- iPod/USB/Aux jack connectivity
- Projector beam headlamps
- Lightweight temporary spare with aluminum wheel (T135/80D18)
- Note: Automatic transmission not available with R-Spec