To avoid keeping you waiting until this fall, we've got the full standings of the race after the jump. Mark Pombo managed to keep his car out of any significant contact to move up from fourth on the grid to take victory at the end of the thirty-minute race. The equally prepared cars made for some fantastic racing on the picturesque VIRginia International Raceway. Groups of three, four and five cars at time went at it door handle to door handle. A few cars made off track excursions but only four of the 29 starters failed to finish. If you are in the vicinity of any of the remaining six races this year, it's definitely worth checking out the TDI cup action.
Photos Copyright ©2008 Sam Abuelsamid / Weblogs, Inc.
Our travel and lodging for this media event was provided by the manufacturer.
ALTON, VA. – In its worldwide debut, the first Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup race was held Sunday at VIRginia International Raceway, with rising star Mark Pombo crossing the finish line after completing 11 laps in the 30-minute sprint race. With a best lap time of 2:15.686 Pombo, 25, from Duluth, GA., raced against 28 other up-and-coming drivers to secure his win in the race.
"Winning the first race of the Jetta TDI Cup is definitely a highlight of my racing career so far," said Pombo. "It's a competitive field of racers, with each of the drivers at the top of their game. I wouldn't have been able to achieve this win without the support of the Volkswagen cup series team and Cates Engineering."
"We couldn't be more thrilled about our first Jetta TDI Cup race experience," said Stefan Jacoby, president/CEO, Volkswagen of America, Inc. "We had an amazing event in Virginia with Governor Kaine in attendance, 'Max' leading the pack as pace car, and incredibly talented young drivers racing clean diesel cars in what's proving to be a very competitive race series."
Complete Jetta TDI Cup race results are listed below with finishing position, starting position in parentheses, driver, hometown, and laps completed.
1. (4), Mark Pombo, Duluth, Ga., 11
2. (5), Derek Jones, Philadelphia, Pa., 11, -.463
3. (6), Jimmy Underhill, Denver, Colo., 11, -.532
4. (7), David Jurca, Federal Way, Wash., 11, -.831
5. (20), Gary Williams_Jr., Dana Point, Calif., 11, -1.171
6. (2), Caleb Kenney, Berkeley, Calif., -1.629
7. (21), Chris Kuenning(R), Grand Rapids, Mich., 11, -2.381
8. (11), Chris Castagna, Boston, Mass., 11, -2.556
9. (8), Juan Pablo Sierra Lendle, Puebla, MX, 11, -3.269
10. (10), Michael DeNino, Gaithersburg, Md., 11, -4.122
11. (16), Jake Dallenbach(R), San Antonio, Texas, 11, -4.846
12. (24), Adam Kretschmer(R), Brampton, Ontario, 11, -8.487
13. (19), Andy Lee, Colorado Springs, Colo., 11, -11.204
14. (25), Nick Mancuso, Mettawa, Ill., 11, -11.663
15. (26), Andrew Cordeiro, Woodbridge, Ontario, 11, -11.828
16. (29), Taylor Broekemeier(R), Fort Collins, Colo., 11, -12.457
17. (28), Adam Love(R), Normal, Ill., 11, -14.986
18. (17), Wyatt Dallenbach(R), San Antonio, Texas, 11, -15.751
19. (23), James Kirkham, Beaverton, Ore., 11, -18.063
20. (13), Ryan Buetzer, Long Beach, Calif., 11, -18.195
21. (27), David Richert(R), Niverville MB, Canada, 11, -19.377
22. (15), John Shim(R), Starkville, Miss., 11, -19.768
23. (18), Evan Pflock(R), Rendondo Beach, Calif., 11, -26.949
24. (1), Josh Hurley, Cooper City, Fla., 11, -2:11.011
25. (22), Chad Brassfield(R), Phoenix, Ariz., 10, -1 lap
26. (9), Liam Kenney, Sterling, Va., 9, DNF
27. (14), Adam Crepin(R), St. Louis, Mo., 9, DNF
28. (12), Chris Holman, Burlington, Ontario, 9, DNF
29. (3), Timmy Megenbier, Melrose Park, Ill., 3, DNF
All drivers in this innovative race participated using factory prepared and managed 2009 Jetta TDI clean-diesel vehicles powered by a 2.0-liter, four-cylinder TDI engine. The Jetta TDI is lightly modified from spec, featuring race-ready suspension and brakes, and a six-speed double-clutch automatic DSG transmission. Additionally, to highlight its environmental dedication Volkswagen has partnered with Carbonfund.org to certify the entire race series as carbon free.
The next race in the series will take place on May 16 – 18th, at Mosport International Raceway.
The Jetta TDI Cup series, the first all clean-diesel race series, is sanctioned by the SCCA Pro Racing, Inc.