With the introduction of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo, BMW has filled a previously unimagined niche and elicited plenty of controversy in the process. Regardless, the first GT to go on sale in the US is the V8-powered 550i and the cost of entry has been set at $64,725. However, in traditional German fashion, the tariff can grow rapidly with the judicious use of the option sheet. Here are couple of examples: opting for the duo of rear "sport seats" and sacrificing one of the rear seating positions will add $3,950 to the bottom line, while the sport package adds another $4,200. If you tick every box available, you're in for over $96,000.
The 550i GT goes on sale in the States on December 5 with the 400 hp 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 and an eight-speed automatic transmission. The twin-turbo six-cylinder 535i GT joins the party later but BMW has not yet committed to selling the diesel powered 535d Gran Turismo in the US. Make the jump for the full press release and options list.
BMW ANNOUNCES PRICING FOR THE 2010 BMW 550i GRAN TURISMO
The 550i Gran Turismo arrives in showrooms with an MSRP of $64,725.
Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey, November 18, 2009... BMW today announced pricing for the first of its 5 Series Gran Turismo models to reach US shores. The 550i Gran Turismo will be available beginning December 5, 2009 with a base MSRP of $64,725, including $825 Destination & Handling.
The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is a new interpretation of a classic concept offering, in this case, luxury seating for four or five in combination with remarkably flexible storage options. 550i Gran Turismo will combine the 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 engine with BMW's first-ever 8-speed automatic transmission. With maximum output of 400 horsepower and peak torque of 450 lb-ft., the 550i Gran Turismo will accelerate from 0 – 60 mph in just 5.4 seconds.
The 550i Gran Turismo provides a luxurious travelling experience for five. The available Luxury Rear Seating Package creates the ultimate first class environment for two rear passengers. The unique dual-access tailgate offers the choice of a tradition trunk opening or full tailgate access to the generous rear luggage area.
A full list of options and packages may be found below.
2010 BMW 550i Gran Turismo Available Packages:
- Active Ventilated-seat Package $2,950
- Back-up Camera Package $750
- Convenience Package $1,900
- Cold Weather Package $950
- Driver Assistance Package $1,350
- Luxury Rear Seating Package $3,950
- Premium Sound Package $1,400
- Sport Package $4,200
- Nappa Leather Package $1,000
2010 BMW 550i Gran Turismo optional equipment:
- 20-inch wheels with mixed-sized performance tires $1,000
- Power rear side window shades $500
- Integral Active Steering $1,750
- Multi-contour seats $1,300
- Satellite radio $350
- Rear seat entertainment system $2,200
- Smartphone integration $150
- 4-zone automatic climate control $500
- Ceramic finished controls $650
- Ski bag $150
- iPod and USB adapter $400
- Head-up display $1,300
- Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection $2,600