- 2014 LA Auto Show vehicle debuts
- The 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show is full of meaningful debuts from automakers all across the globe. The Big Three domestic manufacturers – Chrysler, Ford and General Motors – all brought important vehicles to LA, as did Audi, Honda, Mazda, Toyota and Volvo.
Follow along with us as we take a look at some of the most important new vehicle debuts from the 2014 LA Auto Show.
- Image Credit: Cadillac
2016 Toyota Mirai
- 2016 Toyota Mirai
- The Toyota Mirai is a four-door, mid-size sedan with performance that fully competes with traditional internal combustion engines – but it uses no gasoline and emits nothing but water vapor. The groundbreaking fuel cell electric vehicle is powered by hydrogen, re-fuels in about five minutes, and travels up to 300 miles on a full tank.
Mirai will be available to customers in California beginning in fall 2015, with additional markets tracking the expansion of a convenient hydrogen refueling infrastructure. Powered by an industry-leading fuel cell electric drivetrain and supported by an exceptional 360-degree ownership experience, Mirai marks a turning point for consumer expectations for a zero-emission vehicle.
- Image Credit: Toyota
2015 Chrysler 300
- 2015 Chrysler 300
- With roots that include the breakthrough 1955 and 2005 models, the new 2015 Chrysler 300 takes the nameplate’s style and sophistication to new levels and highlights six decades of ambitious American ingenuity through iconic design proportions and inspired materials, world-class quality and craftsmanship, best-in-class 31 miles per gallon (mpg) highway fuel economy, plus class-exclusive innovations — including a state-of-the-art TorqueFlite eight-speed transmission now standard on every model, the segment’s most advanced all-wheel drive (AWD) system, award-winning Uconnect Access services, all-new and segment-exclusive 7-inch full color driver information display (DID) and the newest generation Uconnect systems — putting boulevards and interstates on notice once again.
"Our new 2015 Chrysler 300 builds on its 60-year legacy of delivering world-class performance, elegance, sophistication, technology and craftsmanship — a combination that can only be found in our big, bold and proudly American rear-wheel-drive sedan," said Al Gardner, President and CEO - Chrysler Brand. "Beyond its head-turning iconic proportions and even more commanding Chrysler front-end and grille, our new 300 is designed to reward hard-working individuals by delivering class-exclusive technologies, premium appointments and levels of quality of sedans costing thousands more."
- Image Credit: Chrysler
2016 Honda HR-V
- 2016 Honda HR-V
- The all-new 2016 Honda HR-V crossover, unveiled today at the 2014 Los Angeles International Auto Show, blends the styling of a coupe, the toughness, space and utility of a SUV and the quality of a Honda in one sporty, personal and versatile multi-dimensional vehicle. The well-equipped HR-V, launching at Honda dealerships nationwide early next year, will enter the fast-growing entry crossover market with dynamic yet refined exterior styling, fun-to-drive performance, class-leading fuel economy ratings and unmatched interior spaciousness and cabin versatility.
Utilizing a new global platform, the all-new Honda HR-V has the most spacious and versatile cabin in its class. Utilizing its unique platform design with a center-mounted fuel tank and reconfigurable second-row "Magic Seat," the completely new HR-V has voluminous interior space along with a flexible cabin featuring multiple seating/cargo modes. With 100.1 cu. ft. of passenger volume (LX) and 58.8 cu. ft. of cargo volume with the second row seats down, the HR-V has space to rival some competitors' mid-size SUV offerings.
"The new HR-V crossover is a true segment-busting vehicle, unlike anything else on the market today," said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president American Honda Motor Co., Inc. and general manager of the Honda Division. "It's got all the essential elements of our Honda DNA, our packaging innovation, fuel-efficient powertrain technology, leading safety technology and, above all, Honda quality, to make this an incredibly compelling, sporty and value-packed new member of the Honda family."
- Image Credit: Honda
2016 Cadillac ATS-V
- 2016 Cadillac ATS-V
- Available in sedan and coupe forms, the first-ever ATS-V will introduce class-leading twin-turbocharged power and a comprehensive suite of design and performance systems when production begins in spring 2015.
Since its inception in 2004, Cadillac's V-Series has driven remarkable power and performance capability into the brand's growing luxury car range. Building on the strengths of the award-winning ATS product line, the V-Series adds impressive track capability to what was already the lightest and most agile-driving car in the luxury compact class. The result is a dual-purpose luxury performer – a car with true track capability right from the factory that is also a sophisticated luxury car on the road.
"Cadillac's V-Series is the best example of Cadillac's emerging product substance – and the purest expression of the passion at the core of the brand," said Johan de Nysschen, Cadillac President.
The ATS-V arrives next spring, powered by the first-ever twin-turbocharged engine in a V-Series. Rated at an estimated 455 horsepower (339 kW) and 445 lb-ft of torque (603 Nm), the engine is the segment's highest-output six-cylinder and enables 0-60 performance in 3.9 seconds and a top speed of more than 185 mph. It is backed by a six-speed manual – with Active Rev Match, no-lift shifting and launch control – or a paddle-shift eight-speed automatic transmission featuring launch control and Performance Algorithm Shift.
- Image Credit: Cadillac
2015 Volvo V60 Cross Country
- 2015 Volvo V60 Cross Country
- "We are delighted to add the third true Cross Country model to our product portfolio. The successful combination of dynamic styling and rugged capability places the V60 Cross Country in a class of its own," said Lex Kerssemakers, Senior Vice President Product Strategy and Vehicle Line Management at Volvo Cars.
"With ground clearance increased 65mm (2.6 inches) compared to the V60, the Cross Country's sturdy construction offers unparalleled control on and off the beaten track, coupled with an enhanced sporty driving experience thanks to torque vectoring technology and corner traction control. The V60 Cross Country really is a getaway car – enabling an adventurous lifestyle in pure rugged form," said Lex Kerssemakers.
The US and Canada will get the first V60 Cross Country cars, and they will launch with Volvo's five-cylinder 250 hp gasoline engine with All-Wheel Drive coupled to an automatic transmission delivering a highly competitive 23 mpg.
- Image Credit: Volvo
2016 Mazda CX-3
- 2016 Mazda CX-3
- Mazda debuts the 2016 Mazda CX-3 at the 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show. The new compact crossover SUV is the fifth model in Mazda's line-up of new-generation vehicles that feature the full range of SKYACTIV Technology and KODO-Soul of Motion design. The CX-3 offers all the essentials people look for in a vehicle; a design of overwhelming quality and style, packaging developed solely with the customer's ease-of-use in mind, and the responsive driving feel that Mazda strives for in every model.
The powertrain for North America is the SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter gasoline engine, which along with Mazda's new-generation AWD system delivers powerful and linear driving performance and outstanding environmental performance. To enhance the customer's driving pleasure, the model also offers a wide range of Mazda's latest technologies, including the Mazda Connect infotainment system and i-ACTIVSENSE advanced safety features.
- Image Credit: Mazda
- 2016 Mazda6
- For 2016, the updated Mazda6 aims to fully respond to customer expectations. Mazda went to extraordinary lengths to bring new levels of depth and maturity to every aspect of the model. In addition to an innovative interior design, the updated refreshed Mazda6 offers the customer greater sophistication and value with enhanced exterior design, functionality, ride comfort, quietness, and safety.
The 2016 Mazda6 continues to offer a 2.5-liter SKYACTIV-G direct-injection gasoline engine. Also carried over are the six-speed automatic SKYACTIV-DRIVE and six-speed manual SKYACTIV-MT transmissions. Combined with Mazda's i-stop idling stop system and i-ELOOP brake energy regeneration system, the powertrains deliver the right balance of linear, powerful acceleration, and excellent fuel economy and environmental performance.
- Image Credit: Mazda
Audi Prologue Concept
- Audi Prologue Concept
- Audi is launching into a new design era: At the Los Angeles Auto Show, Marc Lichte, Head of Design, is presenting the Audi prologue concept car. Lichte is giving the Audi brand a new styling direction in the large coupe.
Marc Lichte himself describes the character of the show car in this way: "Audi stands for sportiness, lightweight design and the quattro permanent all?wheel drive. In the Audi prologue, we are expressing this know?how in a new form – we have put the sportiest car in the luxury segment on wheels. Our team took new approaches in both exterior and interior design."
Audi design is now expressing progressive technology even more powerfully. The two?door coupe has a flowing, elegant shape in a sporty and taut design. Its forms and lines are unmistakable and introduce many new ideas. In the clear and unobstructed interior, the architecture melds with the display and operating concept to create a new type of unit. The entire front of the instrument panel is a large touch display, and a portion of the user interface operates with a new type of OLED display made of organic LEDs.
The show car's technology combines power, comfort and efficiency. The 4.0 TFSI produces up to 605 horsepower 553 pound-feet of torque; it accelerates the Audi prologue from 0 to 100 km/h (62.1 mph) in 3.7 seconds. Its dynamic all?wheel steering, in which the rear wheels can turn up to five degrees, makes the large couple extremely responsive and stable while driving.
- Image Credit: Audi
2016 Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang
- 2016 Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang
- One of the most iconic performance Mustang nameplates of all time is returning, Ford confirmed today with the reveal of the all-new Shelby GT350 Mustang.
The original Shelby GT350 introduced in 1965 established Mustang's performance credentials. The all-new Shelby GT350 Mustang, featuring the most powerful naturally aspirated Ford production engine ever, is a world-class performance vehicle, designed to tackle the planet's most challenging roads – an all-day track car that's also street legal.
The new GT350 builds on Carroll Shelby's original idea – transforming a great every-day car into a dominant road racer – by taking advantage of a dramatically improved sixth-generation Mustang to create a truly special driving experience. Driving enthusiasts behind the wheel of a Shelby GT350 can expect to be treated to the most balanced, nimble and exhilarating production Mustang yet.
Ford engineers took an innovative approach with GT350. Rather than develop individual systems to perform well independently, every component and shape is optimized to work in concert; balance is the key. While paying rigorous attention to detail, the team pushed the envelope with cutting-edge materials and technologies.
"When we started working on this car, we wanted to build the best possible Mustang for the places we most love to drive – challenging back roads with a variety of corners and elevation changes – and the track on weekends," said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president, Global Product Development. "Every change we made to this car was driven by the functional requirements of a powerful, responsive powerplant – nimble, precise handling and massive stopping power."
- Image Credit: Ford
2016 Ford Explorer
- 2016 Ford Explorer
- Building on 25 years of innovation and sales leadership, a new Explorer is on its way, with even more smart technology, a new 2.3-liter EcoBoost® engine and an all-new Platinum series. The new Ford Explorer goes on sale next summer.
The new Explorer, revealed today at the 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show, builds on the strength and leadership of Ford's new vehicle lineup – the freshest in the industry – and provides SUV customers even more versatility, capability, smart technology and efficiency.
"Explorer helped define how the world thinks about SUVs," said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president and chief technical officer, Global Product Development. "Explorer is the centerpiece of Ford's global utility vehicle lineup because it delivers an ideal combination of form and function. And with 7 million already sold, nearly everyone has an Explorer story."
Introduced as a 1991 model, Explorer featured generous interior space customers were looking for, and was engineered specifically for people seeking adventure for their families and a way to express their individuality. For a quarter century, Explorer has been America's best-selling SUV.
"Customers love Explorer, and expect this SUV to lead the way in innovation, performance and fun," said Arie Groeneveld, chief engineer for the new Explorer. "It's a tall order, but we're aiming to build the best SUV in the world."
- Image Credit: Ford