Although the existence of the Volkswagen Beetle dates back to the early 1930s, it wasn't until 1949 that the first of what would turn out to be millions would find its way to the US. Sixty-five years ago this month, Dutch businessman Ben Pon, Sr. brought the first Beetle – or Type 1 – to the US, and Volkswagen is marking the occasion not with a special edition, but with a small gallery of images showing a gorgeous '49 Type 1 alongside a 2014 Beetle.
- Volvo shoots for self-drivers by 2021
- Jeep spends $1 billion on factories
- Find Parts & Accessories for your vehicle!
- Obama rolls out new EV plan
- Infiniti dealers ranked best, Tesla worst
- Compare Volvo XC90 and Lincoln MKX