Vettel has been a Red Bull commodity for years now, signing on with its driver development program way back in 1998, piloting for the Scuderia Toro Rosso b-squad from 2007, winning his first grand prix in 2008, moving up to the Red Bull starting line-up in 2009 and clinching the World Championship in 2010.
The signing and subsequent announcement are seen as a move by Red Bull to shutter the rumormill and lock in its Championship-winning staff for years to come as they aim for a repeat performance. Ace designer Adrian Newey, among other senior personnel, are also believed to have had their contracts extended. No word on Mark Webber, however, who is currently signed through the end of this season. Check out the official announcement after the jump for more information.
[Source: Red Bull Racing]
VETTEL EXTENDS CONTRACT WITH RED BULL
Red Bull announces today that it has extended its agreement with Sebastian Vettel – meaning the current World Champion will remain with Red Bull Racing until the end of 2014.
Speaking this morning (Monday), Sebastian said his decision to sign was down to a shared ambition and the manner he and the team worked together.
He said: "The reason why I'll stay until 2014 with Red Bull Racing is that I feel very comfortable in the team. I am proud to be part of the team, and I am proud of what we have archived so far and will achieve together in the future."
Having been supported by Red Bull since 1998, Sebastian is a graduate of the Red Bull Junior Team. In 2008 he became the youngest-ever driver to win a grand prix and last year became the youngest-ever FIA Formula One Drivers' World Champion.