Attention perps: You'll have a new patrol vehicle roaming the streets come next April. That's the month General Motors says its Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle will finally hit the local precinct. Those models will apparently all be of the detective package variety; Chevy's police package will officially go on sale in June of 2011. Ordering for the detective cars will commence in October of this year, while those officers looking forward to the police package will need to wait until next January to place their orders.
For those unaware, the new Caprice will feature a rather traditional layout, with seating for two officers in the cushy front seats and two less lucky individuals in the rear behind a full-width prisoner partition. Motivation comes from a 355-horsepower 6.0-liter V8 engine sending those ponies to the rear wheels through a six-speed automatic transmission.
We've wrangled up a full gallery of high-res images below and pasted a video along with the press release after the break.
[Source: General Motors]
Show full PR text
- A full list of vehicle specifications and additional information about the Caprice PPV can be found at the recently updated website, www.chevroletcapriceppv.com.
- Specifications, order and delivery dates now available
- Unique to the police market – designed and built to law enforcement specifications
DETROIT – General Motors today announced order and delivery dates, as well as final package specifications, for the 2011 Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV). The rear-wheel-drive Caprice PPV joins the front-wheel-drive Chevrolet Impala and the Chevrolet Tahoe PPV, making Chevrolet the only brand to offer a full line of police vehicles.
Chevrolet will begin taking orders for the Caprice PPV detective package (9C3) in October 2010. Vehicles will hit the streets in April 2011. Ordering for the police package (9C1) will begin in January 2011 and the vehicles go on duty next June.
"When we began designing our latest police vehicle, we went directly to our customers and found that they were looking for a rear-wheel, large sedan with a V-8 engine," said Brian Small, general manager, GM Fleet and Commercial Operations. "By announcing the available specs and ordering information now, we're following through with our promise to provide them with the advanced technologies that best serve their needs for comfort, performance and safety."
The all-new Caprice PPV features:
- Comfort: Segment-leading interior volume (112 cubic feet / 3,172 liters) provides a spacious interior, providing officers with more comfort for long hours on patrol. In addition, it has specially designed front seats sculptured to allow for gun belts. The seats are made with high wear material and have a seat back security panel. There's also an eight-way power driver's seat with reclining back and lumbar control, featuring quick-adjust manual fore and aft movement for additional comfort.
- Performance: Responsive rear-wheel-drive and a powerful 6.0L V-8 engine, with 355 horsepower and 384 lb.-ft. torque, including the fuel-saving Active Fuel Management technology and E85 capability. It delivers expected best-in-class top speed and zero-to-60 acceleration in less than six seconds. A V-6 engine also will be available beginning in the 2012 model year. In addition, the 6-speed transmission has sport shift calibrations for performance driving. A 2.92 axle ratio with limited slip is standard.
- Safety: Full-width prisoner partition enabled by front seat only head curtain with side impact airbags. Rear seat head curtain side impact airbags are available. StabiliTrak, GM's electronic stability control technology, provides a "police performance" mode for enhanced stability during high-speed driving.
- Exterior: Vehicle has an overall length of 204.2 inches (5,186.1 mm), an overall width of 74.75 inches (1,898.7 mm) and an overall height of 58.66 inches (1,489.95 mm). Efficient packaging allows spacious interior, without showing it on the exterior. Standard 18-inch steel wheels with bolt on center caps and wheel covers.
- Interior: Designed for five-passenger seating, the upper-center section of the dashboard can be used for equipment mounting without concern of air bag deployment interference. A certified speedometer (160-mph certified analog) includes trip odometer, warning lights and multifunction display with Engine Oil Life monitor. A Driver Information Center with a "Trap Speed" feature captures speed when tracking/pacing other vehicles.
- Additional Options: Available auxiliary battery to power police equipment and full-size spare tire under a flat load surface. Vinyl rear seat and floor covering also available.
"Chevrolet's history with law enforcement spans across almost as many years as the brand itself and we're ready to see the Caprice PPV report for active duty," Small said.
A full list of vehicle specifications and additional information about the Caprice PPV can be found at the recently updated website, www.chevroletcapriceppv.com.
Chevrolet is one of America's best-known and best-selling automotive brands, and one of the fastest growing brands in the world. With fuel solutions that range from "gas-friendly to gas-free," Chevrolet has 11 models that offer an EPA-estimated 30 miles per gallon or more on the highway, and offers two hybrid models. More than 2.5 million Chevrolets that run on E85 biofuel have been sold. Chevrolet delivers expressive design, spirited performance and strives to provide the best value in every segment in which it competes. More information can be found at www.chevrolet.com.
About General Motors
General Motors, one of the world's largest automakers, traces its roots back to 1908. With its global headquarters in Detroit, GM employs 205,000 people in every major region of the world and does business in some 157 countries. GM and its strategic partners produce cars and trucks in 31 countries, and sell and service these vehicles through the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Daewoo, Holden, Jiefang, Opel, Vauxhall and Wuling. GM's largest national market is the United States, followed by China, Brazil, Germany, the United Kingdom, Canada, and Italy. GM's OnStar subsidiary is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. General Motors acquired operations from General Motors Corporation on July 10, 2009, and references to prior periods in this and other press materials refer to operations of the old General Motors Corporation. More information on the new General Motors can be found at www.gm.com.