When Subaru introduced the B9 Tribeca a few years ago, it was not warmly received in the marketplace. Its styling was charitably described as "not as bad as a Pontiac Aztec," a backhanded compliment if there ever was one. Online auto pundit extraordinaire Robert Farago famously described its nose as a certain part of the female anatomy that had taken flight. Subaru has at last responded and "mainstreamed" the front end of the SUV. Based on this and the beak of the newly-revealed 2008 Impreza, it appears that Subaru has decided to make the forward-facing parts of its cars more palatable to the masses. Additionally (and thankfully), the Tribeca loses the inexplicable B9 part of its nomenclature and gains some displacement and horsepower, now up to 3.6L and 256 hp. Said powerplant is now set up to run on regular unleaded gasoline as well (until now, the Tribeca drank premium). Additionally, new mirrors and rear 3/3 windows help increase visibility.
Official press release after the jump.
FHI Unveils New Subaru Tribeca at the New York International Auto Show
Tokyo, April 3, 2007 – Fuji Heavy Industries Inc. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today announced its plan to introduce the redesigned Subaru B9 Tribeca, now named Subaru Tribeca, and to start sales in the U.S. this summer. FHI will unveil the new Tribeca (U.S. specifications) at the New York International Auto Show, which will be held from April 6 through 15. (Press days : April 4 and 5)
Advancing the concept of a progressive sports utility vehicle (SUV), the new Tribeca features powerful new styling, improved performance, enhanced comfort and functionality. Its exterior design stresses a more SUV-like appearance with a new front face design. The revamped Tribeca is equipped with a newly designed 3.6-liter boxer engine. Although larger and more powerful than the previous 3-liter engine, the new engine delivers both improved performance and fuel efficiency in real world driving situations. Design modifications in its cooling system have enabled the use of regular unleaded fuel, a change from premium only-helping to lower consumer operating costs.
Subaru Tribeca (U.S. specifications)
1. Streamlined sophisticated styling
The exterior design of the new Tribeca is streamlined and powerful, building upon the sporty and dynamic feel of its predecessor model. Interior designs express a sophisticated quality look and sportiness.
2. Outstanding performance
The new Tribeca has been developed with the goal of balancing improved performance and environmental considerations.
- Without increasing the physical dimensions of the power unit, the displacement was expanded from 3.0 to 3.6 liters, which was made possible primarily through design changes involving expanded bore dimensions and a longer stroke.
- The new engine maintains the same levels of emissions and fuel efficiency as the previous 3-liter unit, despite the larger engine size and more powerful output.
- The new 3.6-liter boxer engine features Dual Active Valve Control System (Dual AVCS) for controlling timing in both the intake and exhaust valves, which helps provide improved low-end torque.
- Design modifications made to the cooling system allow the use of regular unleaded gasoline, which contributes to lowering consumer operating costs.
- A substantially revised 5-speed Automatic transmission with newly designed control unit, refined torque converter and optimized gear ratio delivers faster shifting response and smooth and powerful acceleration.
- The new engine and transmission are lighter weight, achieving a total weight reduction of 4.4 kilograms.
The new Tribeca offers a pleasant ride with improved access, visibility, and comfort.
- Third row seating access has been enhanced through a number of changes. The second row seat comes with a tilt-and-slide control on both the driver's and passenger's sides and a new assist spring that reduces the effort needed to slide the second row seat. Also new are molded grab handles on the lower C-pillar to assist in stepping into the third row.
- With redesigned door mirrors and rear quarter windows, side and rear vision have been improved.
- Re-calibrated rear suspension with new bushings improves ride comfort.