Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn was on hand to personally unveil the newly redesigned Infiniti G35 sedan, underscoring the importance of this model. With the G accounting for approximately one-third of Infiniti sales and serving as a gateway to the brand for many buyers, Nissan is clearly looking to maintain its position the near-luxury market segment by improving not only the dynamic performance but also the interface between man and machine.
Nissan's VQ35 high-output V6 is back but with 80% new content, its redline increased to a screaming 7500 RPM, and power boosted over the 300 HP mark. Backing the motor is either a row-your-own 6-speed or a 5-speed autoshifter, the latter being equipped with magnesium shift paddles. Power can be delivered to the pavement via the rear wheels or Nissan's optional ATTESA AWD system.
The Washi-style aluminum trim is intended to duplicate the look of traditional rice paper, and in person it's quite striking. Keeping the ears happy is a Bose "Studio on Wheels" system, with an "audiophile quality" headunit and a 3-way speaker arrangement - including a 10" woofer - tucked into the front doors. In fact, those doors are said to have been designed around the sound system rather than the other way around.
Click through for more pics and Nissan's official press release.
The all-new 2007 Infiniti G
The new G’s exterior continues the original vibrant design theme with seductive, athletic styling that is clean, simple yet very distinctive. Key design elements include the sculpted grille blades, iconic headlights and taillights and the new, crisp character line that emphasizes the G’s aggressive rear-wheel drive appearance.
Inside, the all-new interior design is refined, inviting and offers a new level of modern warmth and hospitality. The G interior also offers unique features such as the white-and-violet Fine Vision gauge illumination and high-touch, textured aluminum-alloy trim with “Washi” (traditional Japanese handmade paper) patterning.
Available advanced technologies include RearView Monitor, a touch screen navigation system with available real-time traffic and the audiophile-quality Infiniti Studio on Wheels™ by Bose®, combining the industry’s first 3-way front door speaker array using 10-inch woofers with an audiophile quality head unit incorporating a 24-bit Burr Brown® Digital Audio Converter.
The heart of the G35 remains its advanced engine, platform and drivetrain, anchored by the “next generation” of the award-winning VQ-series 3.5-liter DOHC V6, now rated at an estimated 300-plus horsepower*. The standard V6 is mated to a choice of a 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode and Downshift Rev Matching or close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission. Steering wheel-mounted solid magnesium paddle shifters are standard on the G35 Sport A/T model.
The G’s second generation FM (Front Mid-ship) platform features a 4-wheel independent suspension with lightweight aluminum components and improved body stiffness. The 2007 G35 is also offered with Infiniti “intelligent” all-wheel drive system.
Comfort and convenience features include standard Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition, available Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS), wood trim and Intelligent Cruise Control with Preview Braking.
Highlights of the 2007 Infiniti G35 sedan include:
- Advanced Front Mid-ship (FM) platform (second generation)
· Enhanced sense of dynamic surface tension and polished craftsmanship
· Available Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS)
Engine and Driveline
- New fourth generation VQ-series 24-valve 3.5-liter DOHC V6 producing an estimated 300-plus horsepower
- New ram air dual intake, equal length exhaust manifold and dual exhaust system with laser-welded rear mufflers
- Higher compression ratio (10.6: 1 versus previous 10.3:1), higher redline (7,500 rpm versus previous 6,600 rpm), new eCVTCS (electromagnetic variable exhaust cam timing), twin knock sensors, improved cooling and stiffer engine block structure
- Refined electronically controlled 5-speed automatic transmission with Downshift Rev Matching and DS mode and ASC (Adaptive Shift Control), or close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission
- Magnesium paddle shifters on Sport A/T model
- Standard rear viscous limited-slip differential with Sport models (5AT and 6MT)
- Front engine/rear-wheel drive or ATTESA E-TS™ all-wheel drive (G35x AWD model)
Suspension, Steering and Braking
- Redesigned 4-wheel independent multi-link suspension with extensive use of lightweight aluminum components, front and rear stabilizer bars
- Available sport-tuned suspension (Sport models)
- New power-assisted vehicle-speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion steering
- 4-wheel power-assisted vented disc brakes, 4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA)
- 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with P225/55R17 V-rated tires
- Available 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/50R18 front and 245/45R18 rear tires (standard on Sport models)
- Standard Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)
- Standard Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- Driver-oriented interior styling with fine craftsmanship and modern warmth
- Standard leather-appointed seating, available in Beige (except Sport models), Black or Gray
- Unique “Washi”–pattern (traditional Japanese paper) aluminum-alloy trim on center console, instrument panel and doors
- Standard 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat and 4-way power adjustable front passenger’s seat
- Hand-stitched leather-wrapped steering wheel with steering wheel mounted audio and cruise control switches
- Fine Vision gauges with white and violet illumination
- Available wood trim on center console, instrument panel and doors
- Standard Infiniti Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition
- Available Infiniti Studio on Wheels by Bose, combining the industry’s first 3-way front door speaker array using 10-inch woofers with an audiophile quality head unit incorporating a 24-bit Burr Brown® Digital Audio Converter
- Standard audio system featuring in-dash CD changer with mp3 playback capability and 6 speakers
- Leather-appointed and aluminum shifter lever
- Available Infiniti Navigation System with available XM® NavTraffic™ real-time traffic information
- Available Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System
- Available RearView Monitor
- Available sport-styled front seats with thigh extensions and power torso and thigh bolsters
- Available sport-styled steering wheel and aluminum pedals
- Available satellite radio with choice of XM® or Sirius™ providers
- Infiniti signature analog clock
- Digital automatic temperature control with standard micro filtration and rear heater vents, available dual HVAC control with available rear vents
- Available Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC)
Safety and Security
- Standard Advanced Air Bag System with dual-stage front supplemental air bags with seat belt sensors and occupant classification sensor
- Standard front-seat and front and rear curtain side-impact supplemental air bags
- 3-point ALR/ELR seat belts (driver’s seat ELR only)
- Front seat belt adjustable upper anchors with pretensioners and load limiters
- Front seat Active Head Restraints
- Zone Body construction with energy-dispersing side structure
- Engine mount breakaway design with breakaway driveshaft
- Retracting brake pedal to help reduce lower leg injuries in severe crash
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tether for CHildren) child seat anchorage system