Mitsubishi is following up the Detroit debut of its sporty yet enviro-conscious Concept-CT with this, the Concept-EZ MIEV. The EZ features the same in-wheel motors and high-density Li-ion batteries to drive all four wheels. Each motor produces almost 27 hp, which adds up to a grand total of 108 electrical equine. By ditching the traditional powertrain with its center tunnel, the EZ has a voluminous interior that can be configured in Lounge mode (seats arranged in a circle), Transport mode (seats folded under floor for max cargo space) and Driving mode (conventional seating for five adults).
With all the time, money and effort Mitsu has sunk into its in-wheel motor technology, we’re hoping the technology sees the light of a production day soon so the company can see a return on its investment.
Check out the official press release after the jump. We’ll have Alberto swing by and get live shots later.
EZ: "Easy"- describes the easy-to-use nature of the interior and the vehicle's leisurely functionality
MIEV: Mitsubishi In-wheel motor Electric Vehicle
MITSUBISHI Concept-EZ MIEV walkaround
- The distinctive design projects high-stability road-hugging looks with a wheel-at-a-corner layout made possible by using an outer-rotor type in-wheel motor in each wheel to drive the mono-box body.
- The under-floor lithium-ion battery system keeps the floor low and flat, allowing MITSUBISHI Concept-EZ MIEV to offer roomy passenger space and seating arrangement versatility that matches a large mono-box model within compact 3700 mm (L) x 1800 mm (W) x 1750 mm (H) dimensions.
- Taking maximum advantage of the absence of a centerline powertrain that distinguishes the MIEV concept, MITSUBISHI Concept-EZ MIEV provides three innovative seating arrangements: Lounge mode - A conference room-like space with the seats arranged in a circle, Transport mode - Cavernous luggage space with the rear seats stowed under the floor, Driving mode - Appropriate for normal driving conditions, spacious and comfortable seating for five adults.
- With no central pillar, the double-opening doors on the left side (the rear door swings on hinges located at the rear of the vehicle) enhance passenger entry and exit as well as facilitating loading and unloading of luggage.
- MITSUBISHI Concept-EZ MIEV is powered by a 20 kW outer-rotor in-wheel motor at each wheel, for a maximum output of 80 kW (110 ps). Making upgrades in power and torque easy, this type of in-wheel motor also offers significant advantages in terms of space and operating efficiency, and in weight reduction.