Caliberforums.com is dishing the dirt on the new Caliber SRT-4, and they don't seem too pleased. Forum member Ironside happened upon a 2008 model guide while visiting a local Dodge dealer and when he flipped through the book, he spotted the SRT specs and pics. He even photocopied the pages and posted them for proof. Many forum members seem to be let down, as the promised 300 hp is apparently not gonna happen. Here are the posted specs and a few comments:
- 2.4L DOHC 16V Dual VVT 4-cylinder intercooled/turbocharged World Engine with 280hp @ 6000-6400rpm, 260 lb-ft torque @ 200-5600rpm.
- 0-60mph = 6.2 seconds
- 1/4 mile = 14.6 seconds
- Top speed = 157mph
- The SRT-4 will have a choice of two different 19" 5-spoke rims, the painted ones like on current SRT's, and the chrome ones.
- Final colours that are offered are brilliant black, sunburst orange, bright silver and inferno red (So no new colours like we'd hoped for the SRT).
- The front driver seat FOLDS FLAT.
- NO MyGIG.
- ***NEW INTERIOR*** Offered in what they call a "new completely dark slate grey" (huge improvement from the sound of it).
The actual numbers aren't necessarily bad, but after what we were promised, these seem a bit soft. There's also the feeling that perhaps 300 hp was more than the Caliber could handle, which doesn't endear it to would-be backyard tuners. Especially when compared to competitors like the Mazdaspeed3 and new WRX, the Caliber seems to do less with more. Even with a horsepower edge, the acceleration, in particular, seems disappointing. We'll have to wait for a full road test to see if these numbers are conservative.